IGNORED

Fuel valve no reserve

I found out that I don't have any reserve fuel when the engine quits in the on position. Luckily I had just turned onto the street in front of my house. I took the valve apart and the seal looked good. When I put a quart of fuel in the tank and held my finger over either hole coming from the tank, it would drain all the fuel out the other hole. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to buy a new valve assy?

I found out that I don't have any reserve fuel when the engine quits in the on position. Luckily I had just turned onto the street in front of my house. I took the valve apart and the seal looked good. When I put a quart of fuel in the tank and held my finger over either hole coming from the tank, it would drain all the fuel out the other hole. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to buy a new valve assy?

Don't need no stinkin reserve. Got a fuel gage. I leave my reserve on at all times. When I fill the tank I reset the odometer and when I've gone so many miles I refill. Between the gage and the odometer it's hard to not know when in need of fuel. 70,000 miles now and I've never ran out of fuel yet.

Dick :)

I had the same thing happen on my 84 VR. Unfortunately for me, I was too far from the house to push the bike back home. Fortunately, I had friends who came running with a trailer when I called them. I too was trying to check my range on the main. I switched to reserve and went another half block before it died again.

My suspicion is that I may actually have had more gas in the tank at that time, but given the age of the bike, the lower inlet for the reserve could have been partially blocked blocked with gunk. I'm leaving it on reserve for now and will pull the petcock this winter and check it out.