IGNORED

Rear tire - God watching over me!

Gearhead

Well, I guess I'm not gonna find out how long the Dunlop E3 will last on the back of my VR. It's got over 18k with some life left in it, but...

WAY back I picked up a nail and plugged the hole with a Monkey Grip plug. I know some don't like doing this, but I've put at least 15 of these in MC tires over the years and the only problem I've had in the past was that they often develop slow leaks. This was no exception; it held air for awhile and then for a long time was a slow leaker - a once-per-week kind of thing. Then on Friday night leaving church it backed up like I was in sand or something. Yup, tire almost flat. Well, traffic was mellow and a station with air was about a half mile down the road, so I rode it slowly down there. Boy, did that feel weird, esp. in corners. Aired it up and was fine going home.

Next morning it was flat again. Got out the soapy bubbles and, viola, the old plug quickly grew a little bubble-beard. So I pushed it into the tire and installed another (done this on other punctures, too). Checked the air Monday AM, fine. Rode to work, checked the air, fine. Before I left work I checked the air again, fine.

Now most of the time I have the radio going on this bike, playing through the headset. But for some reason, going home Monday, I was just enjoying the quiet ride, the whine of the gears, etc. I had gone probably 17 of the 25 miles home and was on the Interstate doing about 80 when I heard a quick WHOOSH (or was it a HISS?). I made the "tire connection" pretty quickly in my mind, looked around for some other source (kinda like when I fart and look around to cast the blame elsewhere :-), there was nobody around and absolutely nothing that would make a WHOOSH or a HISS. Nothing but that tire. The bike still felt fine but I figured I'd better pull over and take a look. It never handled poorly except for when I had slowed most of the way and pulled across the rumble divots; then I knew. Sure 'nuff, flat as a pancake. Actually, not quite that flat. I learned that the sidewalls are stiffer, compared to the weight, than a car tire as it still held a little shape. Anyway, that new plug I put in was plumb gone. MIA. AWOL. Don't know if it went in or out, but it sure wasn't there where I had put it!

So my dad brought my trailer and all is well. I already have a new E3 for it, just wasn't planning on using it quite yet, but I'm sure not putting another plug in that hole. I'll still use plugs, but I think when the tire wears down it's less reliable. Plus, this hole, while a simple puncture down in the carcass, widened into more of a split or cut near the surface.

That could have been really ugly at 80 MPH. Thanks to God that I heard the noise, made the connection, and pulled over before things started shredding or jumping around.

Jeremy

That could have been really ugly at 80 MPH. Thanks to God that I heard the noise, made the connection, and pulled over before things started shredding or jumping around.

yep, I think I would take a minute or two and thank him too......... :whistling: