IGNORED

Audio Tripometer Issue

I have a strange issue with my 1999 RSV (100,000 miles). It seems to be a little bit different than some of the other second gen audio posts.

My audio system worked great up until about ten days ago and then it just went out. Checked the fuses, none blown. Two days later, the audio system started working again normal. Two days after that the audio system started acting up again. When I start the bike, the audio and tripometer does not work. The odometer is displayed. If I change the odometer to the tripometer, turn the bike off, turn the bike on again, the audio works for 2 - 20 miles and then goes out and won't come back on. If I stop the bike at this point, with the tripometer displayed, and start the bike again, the tripometer is correct (it doesn't reset itself) and the audio works for 2 -20 miles.

I have already split the fairing and taken apart all audio connections, cleaned them, and applied dielectric grease. I have also done the same with the ignition connectors. This has had no effect on the way the audio and tripometer are acting. I do know that the front remote control unit was changed about four years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you maybe losin the ign switch

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions.

1) How does an ignition switch cause this if it's able to start the bike?

2) How often do the ignition switches on these bikes go out? I know this is the second one on this bike.

3) Is there any type of bolt I can use other than the snap off bolt from Yamaha to put on a new ignition switch?

Thanks for all your help.

IF you do decide to replace the switch go to http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/ get the phone number and talk to Rick. He sent me the bolts along with the new switch. I drilled the head off the old ones, pulled the switch off and then used pliers to remove the studs. He also sent me the screw to take the old switch apart and change out the key part so I could keep the same key. If I can be of any help on this please don't hesitate to send me an email efulmer@aol.com

Hope this helps