IGNORED

Tom's passing

Rich99

I spent last Sunday morning in ER with Laura with her having her first kidney stone. I did not know what was wrong with her, but we both were scared.

Sherry, we keep thinking about you and your family. My suggestion on the BIL is to just respond to his suggestions(directions?) with "I will consider that," and just let it go for the time being.

I am not much of a sueing person, but there are times when it is the RIGHT thing to do and I suspect this is one of them.

Good luck,

RandyA

Sherry, my only advice to you would be to wait til things even out before making any decision. You are still in shock over this whole thing as are everyone around you. I would refuse to talk to any lawyers or insurance companies for at least 2 more weeks. I don't know what any statute of limitations may be, but it certainly can't be less than 30 days for notices of claim.

Once things have calmed down, sit down with the kids and make a mutual decision, then do what you feel is the best thing for everyone involved.

Hope this helps a little

• 5 months later...

Sherry,

It means Tom is a bona fide hero. He earned the Silver Star Medal, the Bronze Star Medal, and a Purple Heart.

The Silver Star is the third highest medal, awarded for valor (in the face of the enemy).

The Bronze Star is next; awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service. If it has a "V" in the medal, it is for bravery.

The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed in service. George Washington wanted this to be the highest honor awarded, but times have changed.

What the letters Silver Star "BSM PH" mean on Tom's military marker?

Thanks.

sherry it means, that tom was awarded a silver star medal, a bronze star medal , and a purple heart medal, which means he was "wounded in battle"!

just jt

Sounds like he was not only a great husband and friend, but one helluva soldier...... RIP Tom. Craig

tHANKS GUYS! I guess I could have figured it out if I thought about it. It didn't make sense that they spelled out Silver Star and abbreviated the others. The marker looks very nice. There are two. His miilitary and the one with both our names on it. I am so glad he got to see the wall back in 2004. Oh God, I wish I were as brave as him. Life is Hell, my darling Tom, without you.

Sherry they spelled out Silver Star because the Silver Star is the highest medal he received. I would love to read the award letters to see what he did to earn the medals. It takes something special to get a Silver Star that's for sure. He was a true Hero. I thank him and all Veterans for their service to our country. There are those like Tom who deserve a special thanks because they went over and above the call of duty to protect lives.

Sure wish I could have met Tom. He sounds like a wonderful person.

Thanks! I will write to them at that address. It would be so exciting to see what exactly they said about what he did. Tom was humble and modest. He would not offer to tell his heroic stories, unless I insisted he tell someone.

He was my hero. He was my superman, batman and spider man. (in their street clothes of course)

Sherri,

the link referenced was for the medals portion which may or may not have the actual citations for the awards. There is another area that will probably be of interest. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html. As next-of-kin you would be eligible to request a copy of his service record. That would certainly have copies of citations, areas stationed, etc. I obtained a copy of my Dad's after he passed.

The only problem you may run into is that there was a fire in 1973 at the place they were storing records and some were lost to the fire.