IGNORED

A couple of Tech Questions

Everette

I have a couple of questions.

1. I have a power strip close to the battery that I installed last year. I have the horn relay, alarm, amp, zumo, and a couple of other things. I’m thinking about putting another strip up under the faring. So that I don’t have to pull wires under the tank and to clean up a few things in that area. Anyone else have a power strip up front?

2. I like to ride during the winter and this year I will definitely have some heated gloves and maybe some heated socks. The only thing that really gets cold is my hands and feet. Any suggestions? What power requirements/hook up will I need?

Cant help you on the under the fairing strip, but im sure others will chime in. However, the RSV charging system is not up to snuff for heated clothing unless you turn off some other accessories. You may want to consider the Stator upgrade from www.buckeyeperformance.com It will satisfy all of your power needs. Im gonna try and get that done myself this winter.

You can run some heated garmets with the stock stator. I suggest adding a volt meter to monitor the charging system. It is cheap and easy to install. If you try to run heated clothing with both you and a passenger, you will likely outstrip the stator capacity.

RR

I will be adding a volt meter real soon. I have it but have not had time to put it on the bike yet. I don't have a passenger and like I said only gloves and maybe socks. I understand I can disconnect the heaters for the carbs. So I should get some juice back from those. I will look at ugrading the stator if necessary this winter. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before that time gets here.

Thanks for the responses

I Run heated clothing for me and my wife with stock charging system, but, I'm preserve every watt i can out of stock bike,

First Thing you should doit is replace all tail / break / turn signal lights with LED. Thats gonna give you additional 100 W to use, as well Carburetor heaters, thats about 60 W

If you going to change turn signals to LED's , Do not install load equalizer, Flashers are going to flash at higher rate, but turn signal cancelation will work just fine. Load EQ is just resistor to brig wattage up. Don't know how big your audio amp is , but thats big power guzzler if is cranked all the way up,

Yeah, I know the amp guzzels a lot. It is not turned up that high, It could be turned down a little. I get a lot of junk at position 28 and higher on the volume. Does anyone know the max amperage output for the Venture. How close can you get to it 80% ?

I Run heated clothing for me and my wife with stock charging system, but, I'm preserve every watt i can out of stock bike,

First Thing you should doit is replace all tail / break / turn signal lights with LED. Thats gonna give you additional 100 W to use, as well Carburetor heaters, thats about 60 W

If you going to change turn signals to LED's , Do not install load equalizer, Flashers are going to flash at higher rate, but turn signal cancelation will work just fine. Load EQ is just resistor to brig wattage up. Don't know how big your audio amp is , but thats big power guzzler if is cranked all the way up,

100 W??? We're talking about a 1157 bulb not the reading lamp parked next your Lazy Bastid Recliner

You will have to run a feed up from the battery to the fairing. The Aux that's up there won't handle the load. What I did was to run a gerbings heated vest and just a heavy set of gloves. Throw a fleece shirt over the vest and you'll be toast if you turn the vest up all the way. The vest has long enough of a lead to put you connector on top of the left side cover. That way when you forget to disconnect it pull out fairly easily also.

Just installed an 8 terminal block in the fairing for passing lamps air horn and whatever I add later. I mounted it on the left side of the black box (radio) that sits on top of the headlight. Fabricated an aluminum mounting plate that used the 2 existing screws. It is a close fit to the top of the fairing inside. I powered it with a #10 wire from the battery. Follow the pos battery cable to the other end under the side cover. Remove the screw there and attach with a good terminal ring. This is a good place for the fuse. I used a watertight 20amp. There is also a good ground strap on the bottom of the radio that goes to the frame right by the coolant fill. With all that power in front ya need to be careful about running grounds through the steering head bearings.