I bought me an 86 VR (38,200miles) a few weeks ago on ebay. We took the truck up to Weastern PA to get the bike. I rode the bike back to NC and it was a somewhat uncomfortable ride (compared to the 08 RSV) but as is any ride I enjoyed it. Now that I've had time to explore the bike I have some questions/ issues I need some assistance with.

1. I noticed both tires (Continental on the front Dunlop on the rear) are scalloped which was causing a bouncy feel to the front end. I am going to replace the tires but what causes the scalloped condition?

2. The starter has a lot of hesitation when it starts especially when it's hot. It will turn, pause, turn, pause, turn, then start. Someone at work had mentioned the brushes may be worn. Any other ideas? The owner replaced the stock battery with an 'Odyssey' battery about a year ago.

3. When adjusting the air in the rear shock it doesn't maintain the pressure.

The ride back from PA was a bit annoying due to the squeaking and vibration of the console, the front end 'bounce', and monkey butt! I replaced the rubber grommets and the squeaky noise and vibration is gone. For the most part the bike runs well. It will definitely move when you roll on the throttle. In fact in 1st and 2d gear it feels like the front end leaves the ground. I've been reading the forums but there is so much to read. If anyone can point me to specific threads that cover some of the things I've listed or other items of interest it would be greatly appreciated.

I've always thought the 1st Gen was a 'FUGLY' bike but the more I see them up close the better they look. I had to have one to play with. The more I tinker with the bike the more I enjoy it. I also enjoy reading the info here. Anywho, thanks and ride safe!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

1. I noticed both tires (Continental on the front Dunlop on the rear) are scalloped which was causing a bouncy feel to the front end. I am going to replace the tires but what causes the scalloped condition?

If scalloped is the same as cupping then thats age and not maintaining proper air pressure in the tires. Yes, that will make the bike handle poorly.

2. The starter has a lot of hesitation when it starts especially when it's hot. It will turn, pause, turn, pause, turn, then start. Someone at work had mentioned the brushes may be worn. Any other ideas? The owner replaced the stock battery with an 'Odyssey' battery about a year ago.

This is the dreaded "hot start" that is very common with the 1st gen. New thicker spark cables help...there are other things that I cant remember to help as well.

3. When adjusting the air in the rear shock it doesn't maintain the pressure.

Again not unusual for the age. Could be a leak in the air line somewhere in the front or at the compressor under the trunk. Most easy fix is to replace the front springs with progressives which improve handling and ride by a huge margin.

The ride back from PA was a bit annoying due to the squeaking and vibration of the console, the front end 'bounce', and monkey butt! I replaced the rubber grommets and the squeaky noise and vibration is gone. For the most part the bike runs well. It will definitely move when you roll on the throttle. In fact in 1st and 2d gear it feels like the front end leaves the ground. I've been reading the forums but there is so much to read. If anyone can point me to specific threads that cover some of the things I've listed or other items of interest it would be greatly appreciated.

I've always thought the 1st Gen was a 'FUGLY' bike but the more I see them up close the better they look. I had to have one to play with. The more I tinker with the bike the more I enjoy it. I also enjoy reading the info here. Anywho, thanks and ride safe!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

Congrats on the new bike...

#1- What Sarge said

#2- Upgrade to TupperJ's bigger battery cables, pull the starter, take it apart and clean it out

#4 You just discovered why these things are better than a 2nd gen!!!!!!!!!! Would like to see a 2nd gen "act" like its gonna pull the front wheel!!!!!

Dan

I believe cupping can be caused by turning the steering often (normal to me) when stopped to move the bike. And, low tire pressure and a weak suspension (kinda like weak shocks on a car when the wheels bounce up and down at high speeds). But, I could be wrong - I think I am close anyway.

What Sarge said got ya covered.

I guess it was TupperJ that took over Squidley's cables. The Odyssey PC680 and those 4 gauge cables are awesome when used together. If you decide to change the battery cable, you may want to consider changing the plug wires while you are there (if the plug wires look original). They can be found on ebay with NGK spark plugs as a set for a reasonable price.

As you start tinkering with the bike, you will u nderstand us a WHOLE lot better. Then you will start making fun of yourself for riding a second gen, :crackup:

I believe cupping can be caused by turning the steering often (normal to me) when stopped to move the bike. And, low tire pressure and a weak suspension (kinda like weak shocks on a car when the wheels bounce up and down at high speeds). But, I could be wrong - I think I am close anyway.

What Sarge said got ya covered.

I guess it was TupperJ that took over Squidley's cables. The Odyssey PC680 and those 4 gauge cables are awesome when used together. If you decide to change the battery cable, you may want to consider changing the plug wires while you are there (if the plug wires look original). They can be found on ebay with NGK spark plugs as a set for a reasonable price.

As you start tinkering with the bike, you will u nderstand us a WHOLE lot better. Then you will start making fun of yourself for riding a second gen, :crackup:

Now now GW... the 1st gen is unique but to me there aint NO touring ride like the 2d gen. I can turn that bike in a tight spot, it's very responsive and it's so damn comfortable. With that being said I haven't ridden the 1st gen in it's best of riding shape (even tho it is fun) and I am NOT use to it being so top heavy but we'll see what time says. For now #2 gen is DEFINITELY #1. :stirthepot: Either way I have the best of BOTH worlds....:Venture:

Thanks for all the responses!

Semper Fi,

Jerry