IGNORED

BRC paid for it'self already!

DANJ

I'll try to keep this short.

After completing the MSF BRC (basic rider course) and getting my M endorsement on my license, Saturday was my first time out completely legal. Between all the local construction and traffic congestion, getting out of town was a real Bi*#&. Finally out on the road had a Grand ride of about 200 miles. All the riding tricks I'd learned in the BRC worked fantastic. (keep it short) OK, I stopped at the Dairy, and headed to the store to get groceries for supper. At a main intersection, having gone east through the semi-fore I spotted a 1Ton Chev PU waiting to cross both of my lanes to turn westbound. (cell up to his left ear) I had accelerated to approximately 30mph and watched this fellow very closley. Sure enough, he pulled out into both lanes and was stopped by westbound traffic in front of him. (remember SEE) I had about 100ft to maneuver. Hit both binders. Not enough room to stop. (remember seperate braking and swerve) Released the binders, HARD "Push/Push". Cleared his rear bumper by inches!!! After dealing for a few monents with the "Pucker Factor" I realized that had I not taken the BRC, I likley would have continued attempting to brake, and would almost certainly have hit that "Knuckle Head". Think about it, especially new riders. I believe the BRC has already saved me alot of trouble.

BTW, who did I pass southbound between Murcer and Sunshine on a Brown VR 2UP?

Thanks for letting me rant.

DJ

Its times like that I wish I had an air horn off of a Locomotive.

You said it Buddy! Although, if I'da had time to hit the horn, I'd probably had time to stop, in which case I likley would have yanked that feller outta his truck and slapped him.

Just gratefull now, and the more I think about it the more gratefull I get!

DJ

Defensive Driveing !!! Remember, the First 6 months on the road is just a continuation of the Training course.

Make every trip a learning experience, its a cruel world out there, and no quarter is given !!

I've got 30 years and over a hundred thousand miles of riding behind me and I still learn from almost every ride. I had so many close calls a couple years ago I sold my bike. I got the fever again and still folks seem to want to hit me. Always consider yourself invisible to other drivers and drive that way. I'm glad that you were able to avoid that wreck, the MSF course most definitely saved your hide there. Glad you are safe. Did you have to have your seat surgically removed from your backside?:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

You made me go over my accident again for about the umteenth time.

S-10 hidden behind tree entered road at right angle to me when I was about 40 ft from him at about 45 mph. Then he turned on lights so I could see him. Probally down to 15 ft when I did see him. I did react and swerve but he never touched brakes or let off gas just kept coming. I was riding on righthand side of lane and was almost in the other lane when he hit me. You can't dodge them all.

I'm glad that you were able to avoid that wreck, the MSF course most definitely saved your hide there. Glad you are safe. Did you have to have your seat surgically removed from your backside?:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I'm sure convinced!!! As far as the seat is concerned, I think it has a permanent lengthwise crease :smile5: and it took about an hour for my cheeks to relax enough to get my drawers back where they belonged. :shock3: :shock3: :shock3:

DJ

I was riding on righthand side of lane and was almost in the other lane when he hit me. You can't dodge them all.

One of our instructors related to an incident very similar to mine (obviously different from yours). He had been the investigator in the resulting crash. The cycleist told him that he didn't have any choice but to hit the other vehicle broadside (the interview took place in the hospital). He told us that you always have a choice if you have enough training and experience. You may not be able to avoid the crash, but you do have a choice to possibly lessen the severity. It sounds like you were able to prove his point and survive. I'm very glad for that.

DJ

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Defensive Driveing !!! Remember, the First 6 months on the road is just a continuation of the Training course.

Make every trip a learning experience, its a cruel world out there, and no quarter is given !!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT GEORGE!! I'm taking the mindset that first 6 months or 60 years doesn't matter. The one that gets you is the one you didn't see, and if you didn't see it you weren't looking. Like they taught in the BRC SEE (search, evaluate and execute) Worked for me once. Hope it will work the next time.

DJ