I finally got around to looking at the '91 and tracking down the left side engine oil leak. I've been thinking about taking it on VWIV, and time was getting short. All sorts of worst case senerios were running thru my brain. The biggest was having to pull the exaust collector just to find out where ithe leak was actually coming from. I also planned on installing a set of MACs that I'd been sitting on since the first group buy. First thing and easiest thing first tho. I went and pulled the middle gear cover. It looked like fresh oil had been leaking out of the bottom drain screw. Not positive, but it could be..?? The gasket didn't come off in one piece so I went ahead and cleaned both surfaces, put on a new gasket, replaced the copper washer, and lo-and behold it stopped leaking....I hope. :fingers crossed The leak was pretty agressive, and the collector smoked like crazy when warmed up. After doing the fix I let it idle for quite a while and so far so good. Not a single drop of oil has hit the pavement under the bike. It hasn't gotten really warm yet, but there's hope... :thumbsup2:

Edited by Condor

Hope that took care of the problem Jack, I know how fraustrating something like that can be. I was just beginning to have a problem with the engine starting and decided to replace the battery. Just wish it could have worked out when you tried to get a deal in selling the batteries for the site. I purchase the battery, and the first thing out of the dealer's mouth was the prices just went up. I won't even tell you what I paid for it because it's too embarrassing, but again, they got you right where they want you. Did the oil also, now to change the plugs and gas filter. Then last of all, sync the carbs, or should I say wash the beast, see you on the 14th.

Hope that took care of the problem Jack, I know how fraustrating something like that can be. I was just beginning to have a problem with the engine starting and decided to replace the battery. Just wish it could have worked out when you tried to get a deal in selling the batteries for the site. I purchase the battery, and the first thing out of the dealer's mouth was the prices just went up. I won't even tell you what I paid for it because it's too embarrassing, but again, they got you right where they want you. Did the oil also, now to change the plugs and gas filter. Then last of all, sync the carbs, or should I say wash the beast, see you on the 14th.

Did you " Charge " the New Battery ??

Did you " Charge " the New Battery ??
Howdy George; I didn't have any choice ever since they started a new policy. The acid comes seperate with the battery now and is put in when you buy it. It says to charge for 10 hrs. with a 1.8 amp charger. I charged it around 16 hrs. with a one amp charger. Started right up and then went through the nose bleed of re-setting all my radio stations on the AM-FM radio. See you in about a week and a half George. :mustache:

Well guys, I had everything crossed including my eyes, and it's still leaking. Dang!! :bawling: I guess the next step is to pull the collector and take a visual up there. I hope I can find the time to get it done before VWIV. Otherwise Old Faithful will have to come to the rescue again....

Well guys, I had everything crossed including my eyes, and it's still leaking. Dang!! :bawling: I guess the next step is to pull the collector and take a visual up there. I hope I can find the time to get it done before VWIV. Otherwise Old Faithful will have to come to the rescue again....

It sounds like you and I have the same oil leak issues, I replaced a couple of seals on the lower left and am replacing cam cover gaskets tomorrow as theyre leaking a bit but I cant see that they are my complete leak issue. Going have another good look around again to try and track it down. I really dont like these things that arent so straight ahead and you end up working on 3 or 4 things before you finally get the thing fixed up....

Brian

It sounds like you and I have the same oil leak issues, I replaced a couple of seals on the lower left and am replacing cam cover gaskets tomorrow as theyre leaking a bit but I cant see that they are my complete leak issue. Going have another good look around again to try and track it down. I really dont like these things that arent so straight ahead and you end up working on 3 or 4 things before you finally get the thing fixed up....

Brian

The top of the engine is as dry as a bone, and clean as a whistle :whistling:, and I took a look as best I can around the shift linkage shafts while I had the middle cover off, and they looked clean too. But.... the bottom of the pan is a mess. From the amount leakage, and the look of the pan, I'm wondering if the pan itself isn't leaking or maybe have a crack in it??? The only way I'll be able to tell is to pull the collector off and I'm not looking forward to it. Love that layered technology... :(