IGNORED

Problem with Buddy Rich cable

az1103

I installed the Buddy Rich Bluetooth cable and began hearing an engine tick at idle.:( Not particularly noticeable on speakers but very annoying in headset . Just to check, removed cable, started engine ticking is gone.:D Replaced cable, ticking is back. :detective: Figured shielding is at fault, undid tape to foil shilding, checked that it connects to wire shield, added foil retaped - still ticking.:headache: At speed not noticeable because of general background noise but at idle it's like Chinese water torture - tick, tick, tick. :mad: Any solutions or suggestions out there? :puzzled:I can't be lucky enough to be the "only one". Help please before I loose whatever little sanity remains!!:bang head:

I would private email Buddy Rich to see if he has previously heard of, or experienced this, to give him an opportunity to provide a solution.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the Buddy Rich cable before. :confused24:

I would private email Buddy Rich to see if he has previously heard of, or experienced this, to give him an opportunity to provide a solution.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the Buddy Rich cable before. :confused24:

Actually, I did. But just on the chance that someone else may have already solved a simmilar situation thought I would ask....

I've had headset noise intermittently on my system as well. I don't think it is the cable though. I hear the noise as I accelerate and I found accidently one time that if I wiggled the mic input jack on the side of the Zumo that it would stop. So I felt it was a problem with the mounting base. I called Garmin and they replaced it. All was good for a few days and then it started happening again. What I have found is that if I remove the Zumo from the mount and then reseat it in the cradle it will correct the problem. Sometimes I can just apply a little pressure to the top of it and it will stop. I've concluded that it is the connection point between the GPS and the mounting base that is causing my problem. I hear it about once a week now and it's seems to be after I've placed the unit back in the mount and maybe I didn't get it seated properly. Also, I would never hear it unless the intercom volume was turned up. The party on the other end of my phone call could also hear it when it happened. Good luck.

DT

Actually, I did. But just on the chance that someone else may have already solved a simmilar situation thought I would ask....

Understood.. :thumbsup2:

Wonder what it could be myself now because I too am interested in getting the Bluetooth cable from him.

I have never heard anyone having a problem with the cables he makes up.

Has he answered / responded to your inquirey yet?

Try routing your cable in a different direction. You are either picking up some RF noise from the high tension wires or you also may have a loose connection at the GPS. I don't have Buddy's cable but have danced with the same issue for a long time. Cable placement helps a lot to eleminating the problem altogether. You may also have a ground problem, elsewhere. Check and clean all the grounds that have to do with your audio, including the attenna, don't just look at them and say they're clean, clean them, and then make sure they are good and tight. The reason you don't hear the noise in the speakers is that the headsets are much more sensative to that type of noise, it's in the speakers alright, but masked by all the other sounds coming from there.

Hope this helps.

Just as an FYI - intermittent ignition noise in the 2nd Gen audio is not uncommon. Nobody has yet absolutely pinpointed the issue, but it sure seems like cable positioning under the tank. Most of us who have occasionally had the problem have found that just kinda shoving the cables around, wiggling them near the steering head, or even just turning the forks quickly to the steering stop on one side or the other would make it go away (at least for a while). The first time mine started it was right after I got it back from a service where they replaced the plugs. Moving the cables fixed it. I suspect that maybe the exact placement of the front plug wires may be critical.

But all that said, it the OP's problem seems to be specifically related to just the new cable, his problem may be different. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If the shielding is intact then its probably not the cable. Are you picking up the tick in your headsets and the speakers ?If I turn my intercom up to 14 or higher (with or without my cable) I will pick up a tick in the intercom. Try that and see if you get it. If you do then you want to reroute the cables under the tank. Also where did you mount it ? I can send you another and we can try that or you can send that one back and I can refund your money. Either way works for me.

If the shielding is intact then its probably not the cable. Are you picking up the tick in your headsets and the speakers ?If I turn my intercom up to 14 or higher (with or without my cable) I will pick up a tick in the intercom. Try that and see if you get it. If you do then you want to reroute the cables under the tank. Also where did you mount it ? I can send you another and we can try that or you can send that one back and I can refund your money. Either way works for me.

BuddyRich, just a comment for you - the RSV, in most situations, will not have ANY ignition noise in the audio. Neither my 05 nor my 07 have any at all, no matter how high the IC is turned up. Since I ride two-up a lot and always use my headsets, my IC is always on. The usual setting for me is around 12, but I have occasionally turned it up for one reason or another.

My point is, I think I am very familiar with the RSV audio system, including the intercom, and I have occasionally experienced the ignition tic as I mentioned above. But it is not a normal part of the system, and when everything is right, it won't be there at all. You may want to mess with your wires a little more. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I almost exclusively ride 2up always with intercom at around 12/13 and have never experienced ticking. I tried to turn up to 16/17 just to see, and nothing. But with the cable in it is heard at any volume, in fact I believe it is volume independent so I am pretty sure it's coming from the cable. I am fairly handy so I can try shortening or reshielding or you can send me another. Just let me know, and we'll go from there. I think the next thing I'll try is to cut off the Zumo mike lead and see which portion of the cable is problematic.

Someone here mentioned resistor type plugs - I thought the standard plugs were resistor type? Can anyone confirm?

You may have a bad Xformer in that cable if your getting a loud popping or clicking all the time even at lower volumes. Why don't you send it back to be and I'll redo it.

I test them before I send them out but that's only a real short test. It may have been damaged in shipping.

You may have a bad Xformer in that cable if your getting a loud popping or clicking all the time even at lower volumes. Why don't you send it back to be and I'll redo it.

I test them before I send them out but that's only a real short test. It may have been damaged in shipping.

Before sending back I think I'll just tinker a bit first, see what I can do because if we start sending this thing back and forth the only ones making any money will be the postal service.

OK, I pinpointed the source of the problem and fixed it. First I Isolated the source of the noise as being NOT in the cable itself but in the microphone wire going to the Zumo.

Once I realized which portion of the setup was picking up the noise the source of the noise became obvious!

I ran the wire along the wire bundle comming up the right handlebar. Within that bundle is the triger-wire for my Baron tach which is mounted on the right brake reservoir. The mike wire was unshielded and was picking up the signal going to the tach from the right front coil!

I cut off the wire and replaced it with shielded wire and the problem was gone!! No more Chinese torture!:happy34:

So for those of you who get that engine tick - replace the unshielded wire!