I was looking in my 1983 Venture Owner's Manual and it stated to check the oil in the rear drive to use the level gauge from the tool kit and it should be between the marks on the gauage. I don't have this particular gauge so my question is: How far down into the reservoir from the fill hole should my oil level be?

Thanks, Ronnie

83 Venture Std/03 Champion Sidecar

Not sure about an 83 but on my 86VR there are three caps..one to empty and one to fill the final drive..there also is a 3rd cap in the middle (smaller than the other two)...I empty the final drive oil, cap the bottom and then fill it until oil comes out that midway cap then cap that one and the top filler cap......you're done

Service manual on my '86 says to fill to the bottom of the opening/threads on the fill hole. As mentioned the top thing is just a vent, and should not be removed.

I use a large syringe that my wife gave me that she uses to give horses medicine. I put a clear vinyl hose on the end and can put in exact amounts at any angle without a mess. Takes a few fills of the syringe, but is a lot easier to work with. You can get these at any TSC, Farm & fleet or other large animal supply store or vet. I also use it to top off oil if necessary.

Just so there is no confusion....

83-85 Ventures had a gearcase with a fill plug that required an allen wrench to remove. The plug sat level. There was a dipstick to measure the oil level...that had 2 ends....because the Venture and XS-11 (amongst others) shared same rear gear case. However all the non Venture bikes had a middle gear case with a separate sump rather than the common sump Venture....so the dipsticks had 2 ends...one REAR...one MIDDLE. Here are the measurements from the XS11 owners site...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72

You can still buy a dipstick from Yamaha for a couple dollars.

86-93 Ventures (and 2nd gens...) have an angled fill plug...the level should be ready to spill out of the low side with the plug removed with bike upright. The plug actually displaces oil as you screw it in.

Just a comment...theres not a lot of oil in these gearcases...you don't need to lose much down the swingarm to cause grief. It may not start seeping out of the driveshaft tube till its too late. Its a good plan to check the level periodically in the gear case between changes.

Edited by Neil86

Not sure about an 83 but on my 86VR there are three caps..one to empty and one to fill the final drive..there also is a 3rd cap in the middle (smaller than the other two)...I empty the final drive oil, cap the bottom and then fill it until oil comes out that midway cap then cap that one and the top filler cap......you're done

OOPS....I mistakenly gave wrong advice on how to fill the final drive...I was thinking of my BMW that has three caps..DUH :ignore: