IGNORED

New Dunlop E 3, bias Ply

GeorgeS

I removed the Avon today, as not enough tread left for the Calif Trip next month.

Will keep it mounted on my spare rim.

Ok I installed the New Dunlop E 3 ( MU90B16 ) today. Cleaned up the rim, used Vasoline on new tire and rim, mounting was quite easy with standard hand tools.

Removeing the AVON, was not easy !!!

I measured the tread on new tire, 5/16 inch at center, and 1/4 at edges of tire.

I also measured the caseing thickness, as best I can measure it seems to be 1/2 inch thick, plus the Wearable Tread thickness.

The tire Tread is 5 Ply, ( 3 Nylon, and 2 Fiberglass)

The tire Sidewall is 3 Ply, Nylon

Max loading is 937 lb. at 40 PSI cold.

Dunlop sells this in the belted model, and the Radial. ( Radial sizes won't fit 1st Gen)

I got the tire from RonAyers.com Greenville N.C. $113.95, which included the UPS to Seattle.

So, will start milage tests with this tire.

I put in a can of "Ride-ON " and went for a 20 mile test ride, All seems just fine !!!

Time will tell.

Also, anybody been running these tires on a Gold Wing, or know sombody that does use them on a Wing. ??? Would be interesting to find some Feedback from Wing users of these new E 3 Series Dunlops made for the Goldwings. ??

Or has anybody mounted one on a 2nd Gen ???

I have them on my 06 RSV, I did not mount them myself had North Texas Yamaha do the work. I have about 4500 miles on them and they look like new. I did notice a big difference in the way the bike handled after installing them. Made the bike handle much better. I hope I can get the mileage that has been talked about. The dealer thinks I should double the miles of the OEM tires, so I will be looking for 20,000+ miles.

Goose, thanks for the carb sync at the Texas MD, runs much better.

Barry

I know there is a lot of disbelief in my mileage with the E3 on the rear but I am going to post it again anyway.

I went out and looked at the tire and my records. I'm getting ready to go on a 2,500 mile trip and the tire will probably be slick by the time I get back.

I put the tire on 5/2/06 and the bike had 40,773 miles on the speedo. It now has 63,308 miles and I'm still on the same tire. By my math that's about 22,535 miles on the tire.

A lot of the miles, probably at least half were Interstate riding and I understand there is a hard strip in the center of the E3 just for that kind of riding.

I'm also the kind of guy that can get 10 to 12,000 miles out of a 404.

Jerry

Forgot to mention I mount my own tires on top of an open 30 gallon barrel with a couple of small tire irons. The rear tires I balance with a spare axle and a stand I made. The front one gets balanced with an electronic balancer.

Guess what? The front has a little bounce to it at about 25 miles an hour. The rear runs perfect.

I put on new Dunlop Elite II's for my 2,500 mile trip. The front was still good, but the back was down to the wear bars. I keep my old tire mounted on spare wheels, and swap the new wheels with the old.

Last 1,700 mile trip I started with worn tires, thinking they'd be done when I got back. When I rolled it into the shop for new tires, the cords were showing on the rear. That was too close, and could have been catastrophic.

I noticed that you use ride on in your tires. I use a product called tire sealr by Berryman which has the same specs as ride on but only cost $10-12 per quart enought for 4 bike tires.

Thanks for that info, will check into it.

The RideOn stuff is pretty expensive, however It does work, also it balances the tires, ( at least thats what they claim ) ??

Also, of note, I have removed both of these Avons, and found that the Ride On

stuff does not set up on the inside of the rims, Very Easy to Clean off the Rims.

It does not set up hard,

Last year I installed a new set of Avons, and put RideOn in both new tires.

The front got Punctured by a sharp Rock, which I did not notice until the bike was sitting over Dec. and Jan. in the garage.

So apparently, the ride on stuff did its job. I consider it cheap Insurance.

We've been using the Tire SealR for a couple of years and it is the same product I think it will balance tires as well and my brother in law is darkside and when he changed his last tire it had a nail and had never leaked. BTW he rode it on a flat for about 50 mi from broken valve stem with no damage to tire or bike.:Bunny2:

Okay now I am thoroughly confused! :bang head: I need to replace my rear tire on my '05 RSTD with 11000 + miles on it now and after riding in a popup rainstorm the other night I reaaaalllllly neeeeeed to replace it. But I am torn between which one to get. I use the Royal Star as a daily driver and occasional tourer. I thought I would let price be the deciding factor but when I just checked some of the online dealers the prices are within $.50 of each other.:2cents:

I would really appreciate any input members of the group would have on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Dave, aka the 'Chubby Ape':hihi:

Okay now I am thoroughly confused! :bang head: I need to replace my rear tire on my '05 RSTD with 11000 + miles on it now and after riding in a popup rainstorm the other night I reaaaalllllly neeeeeed to replace it. But I am torn between which one to get. I use the Royal Star as a daily driver and occasional tourer. I thought I would let price be the deciding factor but when I just checked some of the online dealers the prices are within $.50 of each other.:2cents:

I would really appreciate any input members of the group would have on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Dave, aka the 'Chubby Ape':hihi:

You don't like the Metzler 880's?

I'm very jealous. That makes the tire change a very short day.

I have harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer but I still fight with it. It holds the rims great but the center bar and removal/install bar doesn't work like they pretend it does.( Laundry detergent is a great Lube for tire mounting) Who's happy with their spoons and where did they get them?

I see long ones and short ones and bent ones and straight ones...which work well for our Rims?

Thanks

Harbor junk changers work pretty good with a few modifications. Never could get the center post to work like it is supposed to either.

All this talk about tire lube :scared: I've even heard of spraying beads with nonstick cooking spray??? Napa sells a gallon of actual tire mounting lubricant for $7.99. Some

As for tire irons, these work greathttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-ASSORTED-TIRE-IRON-IRONS-LEVER-SPOON-CURVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1318QQhashZitem330257232506QQitemZ330257232506

My Virago got 23k out of a 2 different rear E2's. I could only hope the E3 I installed on the rear of my VR would do so well. Now it has 18k+ miles on it and still has life left in it, so I expect it will end up at a similar mark.

Vaseline for bead lube? I bet that worked well. It doesn't cause tire slipping on the rim or any other ill effects?

A lot of people like the Avons, but I bet they don't come close to the E3 in mileage.

I change mine using an old car rim for a holder and 2 large and one small iron, each with a straight end and a hook end. I use cut up anti-freeze or oil bottles for rim protectors. I wouldn't ever say it's easy...

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from 700 mile ride on the new Rear , E-3.

I like it. This trip was all freeway running at speed.

I can say that I notice a Slight ( only slight ) left right instability.

However Nothing to complaine about really, also was carrying about 70lb. of stuff in the luggage.

I will agree however that the Avon, probably has " slightly " better traction, however, that is a very subjective statement.

If this E-3 lasts Over 20K as the old E-2 I had, I doubt I will ever use any other Tire. At least on this bike. :)

So far I have been happy with the E-3 that replaced the Avon on the back of my 83. I have not made a speed run of 100mph, but it does not seem to wobble around as much as the Avon did on the back in the 80mph range. I still have the Avon on the front.

So far, my tire recommendation on a 1st gen is an E-3 on the back and an Avon on the front, until they release an E-3 for the front of a 1st gen.

RandyA

i agree with Randy as i have the same setup and love it. avon on front and e3 on the back. i am just back from Ashville meet and i have about 4 or 5 thousand miles on the tires so far, it handles awesome, rides straight as an arrow, cornering is awesome and are a quiet running tire. two thumbs up for sure. when it comes time to replace the tires i will put the same on the bike.

cheers, Scott