4 Inch... The best replacements I've come across is the Marine Grade Polk 401...

Thanks M8.. buddy was looking to sell his Sony's but they were 5.5 inches, good qual but wrong size.. Hmm I'll check out the Polks, just for reference in case I need replacement..

Cheers!

Here's a good source for speakers... all kinds. I design custom speakers for fun and frustration...

What you want is:

1- cheap

2- poly or metal cones

3- 2 way is nice but actually, the 4" size does not give you much base anyway... so the single driver works fine.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=41

I have used a set of the Phoenix series in my first generation... sounded much better even though they are cheap. Factory speakers are mondo-cheap so anything is better.

Here's a good source for speakers... all kinds. I design custom speakers for fun and frustration...

What you want is:

1- cheap

2- poly or metal cones

3- 2 way is nice but actually, the 4" size does not give you much base anyway... so the single driver works fine.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=41

I have used a set of the Phoenix series in my first generation... sounded much better even though they are cheap. Factory speakers are mondo-cheap so anything is better.

Do you have a specific reccommendation for the second generation. I don't know a speaker from a whos-it or a whats-it. I agree, on the highway all I can hear is noise, hard to make out words.

Steve

aka Bubber

Factory 2nd gen speakers aren't too bad when they work... when they start to go I recommend the Polks... I tried the cheap ones Pyles (Pyles of sh*t) and they lasted 1500 miles and were toast... Polks sound great

I just ordered a set of bass blockers on E Bay...less than $10/set

Info from E Bay Seller

One Pair of Bass Blockers for 3.5", 4",or 4x6" Speakers

Keeps the bass out of your smaller speakers that just can't take it. If your speakers distort (buzz) when you turn up the volume bass blockers are a must.

Get louder clearer highs. Let your small speakers play the range they were intended to play. By not stressing out smaller speakers with powerful bass notes your music will sound much clearer and even allow the speakers to handle more volume since the higher frequencies aren't as damaging as deep bass notes.

Works with any brand of speaker and any factory speaker.

Seller

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/ca/s.gifthe_emuman

Keith

Do you have a specific reccommendation for the second generation. I don't know a speaker from a whos-it or a whats-it. I agree, on the highway all I can hear is noise, hard to make out words.

Steve

aka Bubber

As far as I can tell my speakers are stock and I have no probs with hearing the audio, talk or music at highway speeds (160 kms even oops)..

The only complaint I get is from my fellow riders.. my stereo is so loud they say that they can't hear their loud pipes.. I don't know if that's true or not as *I* can't hear their pipes =)

Good thread this, lots of info.. I have a new windscreen coming in next month so this would be the time to check it out..

Cheers and thanks to all who have responded..

Here's a link to the Polk Audio 401s.

Here's a link to bass blockers. This link tells about them. Short version: cuts down on rolloff from too much bass into too small a cone.

FWIW I've purchased from Crutchfield and was happy with the service.

Thanks for the links.. Can you recommend which Bass Blockers would be best to use? Unfortunately, the numbers don't mean much to me, I just like my tunes loud and clear..

Can anyone recommend where a Canuck can purchase these speakers? Seems Crutchfield's can't ship to Canada.. sigh.. So much for the global market.. Google doesn't show much available elsewhere..

Cheers!

Crutchfield has a canadian site advertising the 401s.

They say the 800 hz blockers are for 4" speakers. Actually they're just capacitors. 50mfd I think. The side with the pinched ring goes to the speaker.

I didn't use the bass blockers. I got a power amp instead. Trying to find a link for something similar, but no luck so far.

Many thanks M8, hadn't seen that link.. Lemme know if you find more info on the power amp links..

I must admit that the sounds coming out of those speakers from my iPod Nano is brilliant compared to the radio.. crisp and clear but lacking in bass when at highway speeds and higher volume (level 16 or 18)..

Does install Bass Blockers make it possible to raise the audio level to say 20 or 22 and yet not suffer too much distortion? The radio controller on my bike has a treble / bass adjustment on it.. doesn't this do the same-ish kinda-ish thing?

Cheers M8