IGNORED

Carbs Vs. Fuel Injection?

PBJ

Nope, I'm still going with a V4 detuned V-Max making around 100-120 bhp and 80-90 lb. ft. of torque

I think you have a Typo here. This would be 100-120 hp and 180-190 lb.ft Torque on a adapted Venture Motor.

If yamaha goes with FI I hope they don't have the heat problem the harleys have. To comply with EPA the 07 and 08 harleys are running so lean they will cook the passenger. The venture is already hot enough.

Along these same lines......if they go to Injection in order to go "drive by wire" as someone above suggested, I hope they don't screw THAT up, the way Toyota did on what used to be the top selling car in North America.

The Camry used to be the modern day 55 Chevy; everything about it was calm, cool, predictable. Now with DBW, the dumb thing never seems to know what gear it wants to be in. Don't know if it's a function of the throttle or the automatic transmission, but my dealer confirmed (two weeks after I took delivery.....thanks guys) that virtually every new (2007) Camry purchaser complained about "indecision" on the part of the gas/transmission, especially at critical points like turning at intersections.

Didn't mean to get off track, but I guess the only point I'm trying to make is: sometimes OLD technology is GOOD technology. Me......I like carbs, cables and manual transmissions!

Both of my cages are Honda's and are DBW. Smooth... Well excuited.

Most new Harleys are DBW also.....

IIRC the new V-Max is DBW.

it is my hope that Yamaha puts the V-Max motor in without any changes. but THAT wont happen....

IF they put the V-Max motor in the 3rd Gen RSV, who will be the first to bump the power up to MORE than the V-Max spec??????

Both of my cages are Honda's and are DBW. Smooth... Well excuited.

Most new Harleys are DBW also.....

IIRC the new V-Max is DBW.

it is my hope that Yamaha puts the V-Max motor in without any changes. but THAT wont happen....

IF they put the V-Max motor in the 3rd Gen RSV, who will be the first to bump the power up to MORE than the V-Max spec??????

hey Kitesquid theres a new thread if ever i saw one. Okay guys who would could be the first?

• 3 years later...

I have owned a few fuel injected HD's two were TBW and they were all great machines. Very easy start up and operated flawlessly. I owned a 2007 Buell with fuel injection that was terrible. It was so bad that I didn't feel safe riding it anymore. It would spit and sputter at low RPM so bad that it would occasionally die trying to take off. Took the bike to two Buell dealerships who did multiple adjustments, resets, and diagnosis with no luck. Probably just a factory lemon. Buell did however make changes to the fuell injection in 2009 and I bought a new 2009 Buell Ulysses that ran flawlessly. I also owned a very low mile 2004 Sportster that was carbureted and it was always a chore to warm up. Spit and sputtered even when it was fully warmed up. I treid changing everything and it never did run perfectly.

Now onto the RSTD. I have owned two of them. A year 2000 and currently a 2009. I purchased the 2000 used with 30,000 miles on it. It was taken care maticulously and I never had the slightest problem with it. It rarely required much choke at start up. My 2009 seems to be the same way. When my bike is completely cold it seems like full choke is just to much. Doesn't need to be choked very long. Both of these bikes run flawlessly. No spits, sputters, hiccups, backfires, or lean pops. Smooth acceleration and very reliable.

Now if Yamaha were to introduce fuel injection to this same engine I think that it would enhance the quality of the machine. Hopefully FI would get a few more MPGs and some better emmisions. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with the current RSTD/Venture setup. There is a reason that this model has been in production virtually unchanged for over a decade. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have absolutley no complaints or concerns about the current reliability or performance. The current 1300 V4 setup has more pep and power than the 96CI 1584CC HD that I have had in 4 different HDs. I will never feel comfortable towing anything behind a motorcycle and I rarely ride two up. That being said I can't imagine the need for more power. My only current dissapointment with my RSTD is that it doesn't have a larger fuel tank/ longer range between fillups. Please Yamaha redesign the fuel tank to hold at least 6 usable gallons with an additional reserve. That is one thing I never understood. Here is a motorcycle that is completely capable of hauling me 300+ miles comfortably but I have to stop to refuel around every 200 miles due to the fuel capacity of my " 5 gallon " tank : (