IGNORED

83 VR Rear Brake Problem

Guest GARY844

Guest GARY844

On a trip to NC last year I lost the rear brakes. Pedal went right to floor. There was no leaks so limped it back to MI, located a resevoir and slave cylinder on ebay. Visual inspection of purchaed unit looked good, installed and bled the system. A good stream was exiting out the rear caliper, cleared all the air out of the system....still no brake pedal. Hooked up a vacuum bleeder to rear caliper ran another pint of fluid and still no pedal. Reviewed factory manual and found no clues or help. Couldn't find any specific procedure for bleeding rear. Look for rebuild kit for slave??? Or, am I missing something??? Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary844

Guest GARY844

I did bleed the front and tryed bleeding the rear again with no change. I was unable to find a specific procedure in the factory manual knowing that sometimes with autos the published procedure will affect results. I did pick up there was a link between the two systems. I may try "recentering" the proportion valve though I had discounted that because there was no leak in system ie. a ruptured line, where loss of fluid would result in proportion valve moving to one end or another.

OK then! You want to bleed the front first, which is more downstream from the resovior. You wil use up a huge amount of fluid to effectively acomplish this. Also, on the '83 - '85 the anti dive uses brake fluid from the front brakes. Make sure you don't have a leak in the anti dive unit...

Gary,

Where abouts in Michigan are you? I'm SE area and could stop over if you want a hand with it. The brakes can be a bear to bleed and it can be tedious to say the least. My cell # is in my profile, give a call if you need or would like a hand.