IGNORED

V-Max carburetor question

pegscraper

Hi,

i've never seen or heard of a TPS on Vmax-Carbs. Newest Bike i'm familiar with is 2005. Neither heard from various Boards around the World.

As the Production was stopped in 2002, i do not believe that they put in a TPS in afterwards. If so, for what Purpose? A TPS should give a Signal to an electrical Component, the Standard TCI from a Max do not have a Port for such a Signal. Would bring up the Need for an other TCI...

You can check Yammi-Parts Page if you really wanna do research that. Vmax is listed as well as all the other Bikes. But i think it will be wasted Time.

Production of what was stopped in 2002?

Do V-Maxes have electronic ignition? What do they do for load based spark advance? The Ventures use the TPS to advance the spark under part throttle and retard it under WOT.

Production of the Vmax was stopped in 2002, the Plant was completly taken down and everything wrecked.

Yes, they have a TCI like the 1Gen's Ventures. Different Timing, but similiar Function. There's a Pressure Sensor which is loaded by Vacuum from the #2 Cylinder Manifold. The Pickup changed from two Pickup's to just one Pickup in 1993. The TCI computes RpM and Voltage from the Sensor to the appropiate Spark-Advance.

Production of the Vmax was stopped in 2002, the Plant was completly taken down and everything wrecked.

Here is the link to the Yamaha site, showing the 2007 model year V-Max: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/23/0/home.aspx

I actually test drove one last year, built in August of 2006.

So, which production was stopped??? 21 years of production and still going strong...

Klaus

Hi everybody sharing this Thread,

First

the Measurements:

Boring middle/middle Carbs front/rear is 100 mm

Boring middle/middle Carbs left/right is 146 mm

Throttle-Plate Diameter 35 mm

mounting Diameter on the Manifold-Rubber's 42 mm

Intake mounting Diameter is 52 mm

Outer Casings Dimension are 200 mm for the Body front/rear,210 with the Choke-Lever, which is like a 4 mm Wire from Side to Side

Outside left to right, which is outside the Diaphragm-Bowls is 310 mm

Second:

I know that the Vmax is not outselled in US! They are still selling this Bikes. The would still sell it here in Europe also, if the Vmax would pass the EPA-Tests, which they can't pass since new Rules at 1st April 2006.

But the Production is discontinued. I have heard from different Sources, that the Vmax Production was definatly stopped in late 2002. As far as i know, they are putting new Colors on the 'new' Bikes they have completly manufactured and stored. As long as there are Bikes in Storage, they can sell them as a new Bike. There is no Mystery or Oxymoron if Klaus has driven a 2006 last Fall, you know, they also print their own Stickers and Plates .... :D

Maybe i was told totaly wrong, but that's the Story what i heard of.

Thanks for those. And after I asked about the one I started wondering about the overall width too, which you already mentioned. One more, if you have a set of these setting on a bench, what is the overall height? I'm asking questions because I'm having some rather sinister thoughts about stuffing some V-Max carbs in my bike and reconsidering my previous statement elsewhere about how they wouldn't fit. Maybe I'll just have to get a used set, and then if they don't work for me I could resell them.

I'm also curious if that vacuum spark advance part is a separate part that could be taken and used on other bikes. I would either have to use that or rig a way to mount the TPS on the V-Max carbs.

I was going to walk right on past the comment about the V-Max being out of production, until a couple others chimed in. My local dealer knows me real well, so I just called him and asked. The V-Max is still in current production. Brand new bikes and parts are still being made. I don't know where you get some of your information. I don't doubt that you've seen what you say - in Germany where you are. But you don't have a very good handle on the bikes that come to America. About those rear gear ratios, I'm sorry my friend, on the American bikes that are actually here in America, you're mistaken. :)

Hi,

sorry that, i forget the Height, will submit that tomorrow. I allready guessed your Thoughts about fitting Vmax-Carbs to your 2Gen.

As for the Ignition ... imho, you better get yourselves a MAP-Sensor and a Dyna 3000 Ingnitionbox ... because ...

1st - it will be a Pain to get a TPS on the Max-Carbs, a TPS can't be placed 'inside' the Carbs Set. There is no Room. So, no Room inside the Set, no Room outside .... where to put that Part?

2nd - going with a MAP-Sensor gives you much more Room to find a Position for the Sensor itselves, there is only a small Hose from the Sensor to one Monifold.

3rd - the Dyna Box brings you adjustable Spark Advance, smaller Casing than the Vmax TCI AND a Rev-Limiter. All togehter at a Price you can only buy a used TCI from a Wrecker or Ebay. And there are different Curves in fitting TCI's, some pull up to 42°, some only to 31°. Depends on Year, at least the european One's i know. But there is a Partnumber on the Unit.

3.1 - if you have brought all the Parts togehter, you'll need that Limiter more often than you even dream of. Since i put a digital Speedo on my Max, i'm able to reread the maximum RpM i've produced. As i don't rev it that hard, allways shift at 8k, i was shocked, when i read 10800 RpM the first Time i tabbed through the Menu of the Speedo. The Stock Revcounter isn't that precise at all. It's more a 'Estimater' or 'Suggestor'... cross checked that with a Workshop Revcounter and the Speedocounter more than often...

3.2 - when i imagine your Setup .... 1300 cc Engine, Vmax Heads, Cams and Carbs i'd say your Bike brings up a Lot of Power, which can be better controlled by a selectable Spark Advance Curve than with a fixed Curve writen by Yammi-San, optimized for Pollution Matches and designed to work with all Engines in their particular Production Tolerances. Together with working on the Intersection of the Cams, you are able to set Power and Torque at best Perfomance.

I'm quite confident that a Dyna3000 for a Vmax, either 1 or 2 Pickups, will work with every Venture if there is a MAP-Sensor like the Max or the 1Gen's have. As Dynatek is in California, it should be one or two Calls to approve that.

As for the Vmax is still produced or not ...

Did you read a Statement where i put some Money on my Statement ? As long as i wasn't in Japan, i can only say what i've heard about. My Yammi-Dealers are also handsome Guys, but they do not know anthing. I told them that there was the new Vmax-Site on the Web and about the Motorshow, where the new One was shows Second Time in public. They have had strange Thoughts about the Policy of Yammi here in Germany.

If they produce the Vmax till now, OK, works for me. Won't change my Life anyways, except you can call me a Liar. :( :( :(

finally, the Gear-Ratio-Issue

For me it is still to be researched. Have that on my long Term List and will go after that. I'm really busy getting my Bikes ready for the Season and still have some Rim-Sets sitting next to my Lathe, my Buddies are waiting for the converted Rims. And my Business needs me 12 Hours a Day as this Seasons starts a little early this Year.

Maybe we are both not wrong in our contradicting Minds ?

I have one Friend whose Vmax has a definatly US-Origin. He brought it over from Huntsville, AL. I will meet him at the End of April and will give his 'Estimator' a close Look while Riding.

Badest thing at all is, there are no visible Marks where you can differ those Gear-Ratio on the Casing. I will count all 5 final Drives, that i have in my Workshop for the Ratio. There should be two from Vmaxxes, two from Ventures and one from a 2001 FJR 1300.

btw ... check this out ... 10 hp Gain on a highend Vmax, just by a Full Motor Managment, something like that will be my upcoming Winterproject.

www.wildbros.com ...