IGNORED

Exhaust leak on 1st Gen

I have a small exhaust leak on my 1st gen where the mufflers attach . Both sides have a small leak. The clamps are tigtened down as far as they will go, but the mufflers are still loose and I can move them by hand.

Any suggestions on how to get them to tighten up? Is tere supposed top be a gasket at this connection point?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, there should be gaskets there. Don't get them directly from Yamaha as they aren't cheap... try and find some off eBay or somewhere else...maybe another member here has extras. Also, I use a little "exhaust gasket cement" on mine coz mine are old and getting worn so when I take my mufflers off, I apply some of this stuff when I reinstall them just to ensure no leakage occurs.

There seem to be two sizes of gasket available. There may be two types of collector box. I don't know for sure. I do know that when I bought my bike the silencers were such a tight fit on the collector box stub I had to work them back and forth to remove or replace them, even after removing the clamp.

The result was that the collector box stubs broke off prematurely.

I replaced the collector box and had a choice between gaskets that were (to me) far too tight a fit, or not tight enough. I've suffered a loose fit ever since, rather than risk ripping off another stub.

Thanks Greg, good to know about the two different sizes. Both of my mufflers will slide right off the collector box even without removing the clams which are tightened all the way down. There are no gaskets present. I will pick up a couple and that should take care of the leak. I can feel the exhaust leek right at the muffler and collector junction.

This site is truely awsome. I really appreciate all of the help and knowledge that everyone is so willing to help out.