IGNORED

Computer Virus

Yammer Dan

I have a Dell diminsion 2400. I am running windows XP sp2. I have IE and Msn Explorers. I had a virus called anti virus xp 2008 to install itself on here, I uninstalled the program before I even knew it was a virus and the next day a virus called anti virus 2008 try to install itself. I was doing a search and 5 more tried to install. I stopped the downloads. My icons keeps disappearing every 5 or 6 seconds and reappears every 3 or 4 seconds,.The only thing I can get to stay up is IE and MSN. My Pc has been locked from recieving any updates and I cannot access any websites that has Anti Viruses downloads. If I try to access any anti Virus websites it fails to detect that I am connected. I had AVG anti virus installed and the updates to it were blocked out. If I try to do any searches it does not take me to the search that I type in or it takes me to the search pages but when I clicked on one of the links,urls another virus trys to install itself. This morning it was Vista 2008. Its probally the same virus just different names. I am unable to download anything at all. This is Pat (aka) warden. I suggested to Yammer that we redo windows xp and start all over with a clean Pc and get all the JUNK cleaned out from years past. But he insisted on me posting this so here it is. GO ahead tell him how right I am.

This is the manual way to remove it. Its spyware. Try goin to http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Heres a link to the free one

http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10844457.html?hhTest&spi=a89f7218795203f1d5ae13012eeec450&part=dl-ad-aware

Remove XP Antivirus 2008 Manually

Tip: If you are not an expert in this field, we highly recommend you use "removed link" You'll run the risk of damaging your computer if you make a mistake during the manual removal process.

Stop the following XP Antivirus 2008 processes:

xpantivirus2008_v880339.exe

xpantivirus2008_v880019.exe

xpantivirus2008_v880187.exe

%program_files%\xp antivirus\xpa.exe

xpa.exe

install_v2.exe

xpa2008.exe

Remove the following XP Antivirus 2008 registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options scans

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options lastrun

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options securityvector

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options termsurl

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options billingregurl

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options billingurl2

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xp antivirus\options billingurlapproved2

Locate and delete the following XP Antivirus 2008 files:

xpantivirus2008_v880339.exe

xpantivirus2008_v880019.exe

xpantivirus2008_v880187.exe

%desktopdirectory%\xp antivirus 2008.lnk

%program_files%\xp antivirus\xpa.exe

%startmenu%\xp antivirus 2008\xp antivirus 2008.lnk

%startmenu%\xp antivirus 2008\uninstall xp antivirus 2008.lnk

xpa.exe

install_v2.exe

xpa2008.exe

BUT since y'all are not experts it maybe hard. In that case a reinstall maybe faster. But you may want to get a portable HD and copy email files and pics to it.

Edited by BuddyRich

Try restarting in safe mode with network support. Reboot the machine and press f8 .

Or you can try to do a system restore. Go to help and look up system restore. Restore it back to a date before you starting getting the problem

System restore will not let me go back prior to the virus...or the virus will not allow system restore to go back pre-virus.

Just went to microsoft update and there was a new virus removal tool in the download. When I rebooted an alert came up saying malicous spyware had been removed, now if that was 2008 xp virus that remains to be seen.

The update was "malicious software removal tool-July 2008 (KB890830)

Edited by davepa

Ok... I did not find any of those files in my system.Those files are not running in the processes and those keys are not in the registry. I also can not restore. I cannot go back any further than july 1st which was when the virus occured. And I know that sending me a link to windows one care will be no good I can not access anything in the microsoft dept. I have tried safe mode and still the icons are disappearing.

Dan.

it might be a lot less trouble , to do a clean re-install, but bear i mind, you are only allowed % usages of your install cd, then you must purchase a new key gen numbers set, or a whole new xp cd.

i would also take the earlier advice, and do a c d backup.

just jt

Dan.

it might be a lot less trouble , to do a clean re-install, but bear i mind, you are only allowed % usages of your install cd, then you must purchase a new key gen numbers set, or a whole new xp cd.

i would also take the earlier advice, and do a c d backup.

just jt

If you bought XP and own the cd you can remove and install as many times as you like, but you may have to call Microsoft after a few times just to confirm with them what is happening.

I had this Virus/spyware a couple of days ago, my machine just kept clearing the desktop but I managed to get my Sophos A/V up and it found and removed the virus. Perhaps go to a friends computer and get the free MCAfee Stinger removal tool for the virus, put it on a thumbdrive and run it directly from the thumbdrive on your machine. You can find it at vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

Brian

Try restarting in safe mode with network support. Reboot the machine and press f8 .

Or you can try to do a system restore. Go to help and look up system restore. Restore it back to a date before you starting getting the problem

dan follow this advice its the fastest best way to eliminate that virus from your computer.

Warden working on this thing and I'm lost!!! Maybe clean it is way to go but what will we loose??

Thats why I always use 2 drives, the c drive is just for my operating sytem like xp and the other drive is where I store everything. Its usually the operating system that needs rebuilding so when its separate you just rebuild your c drive and everything is still available on your second drive when you rebuild.

And I use windows backup to copy everything on my 2nd drive to a firewire drive weekly just in case. :2cents::2cents:

Brian

Pick up a Flash drive or portable HD and get all your stuff off first. Any restore action you do from the Dell cd is probably going to wipe the HD clean.

Unless you have a lot of Pics on it a 4gb flash drive should be big enough