IGNORED

What would cause this?

My wife and I rode the Nazhez Trace memorial day weekend. We rode 1450 miles. We got gas in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee. On the way home I thought I felt a surge every now and then but figured it was my imagination. We got home on may 26 and parked the bike. On may 28 I rode to work and on the way home the bike died on me in the middle of town. I had to stop in the turn lane and when the traffic was clear I pushed it across the street into the driveway of a service station. All electrical was working but it wouldn't start. I waited several minutes and kept trying until it finally started but it was skipping. If finally cleared up and I rode it home. I bought a can of sea foam I was going to put it in later. I didn't ride again until June 3 when I was going to ride to Tallahassee to leave it with the dealer. Started out the driveway on June 3 and bike died again. I had just a little more than a quarter tank of gas. I finally got the seafoam and added half of the can. Bike started right up. Stopped at gas station and filled up and put the rest of sea foam in tank. Didn't ride bike again until yesterday. Started bike and let it idle while I checked the air in the rear shock. Bike went dead. Would only start with full choke and if you gave it throttle it would die. Had a little less than quarter tank of gas. Went to auto parts store and got another can of sea foam. Put half of the can in and bike started immediately. Filled up with gas and put the rest of sea foam in. What do you think is causing this? Thanks

Bike went dead. Would only start with full choke and if you gave it throttle it would die. Had a little less than quarter tank of gas. Went to auto parts store and got another can of sea foam. Put half of the can in and bike started immediately. Filled up with gas and put the rest of sea foam in. What do you think is causing this? Thanks

I don't even own a 2ndGen, but from what I've read I'd put money on the ignition switch..... :detective:

When it dies try opening the gas tank. Listen for a whoosh. If its sucking in air then the vent in the cap is plugged. Also try going from normal to reserve to see if there is anything in the petcock.

The gas caps are not vented on the RSV. The tank vent is under the black plastic tank cover. It's a 1/8" steel tube with a hose attached.

I haven't heard of this being a problem on the RSV but it was an issue on the Road Stars.

I have a first Gen. so this might not be the same thing. Last year on a short trip the bike just died on me going thru town. It would turn over and try and start. Playing with the chaock it fired up and I could ride a little ways be for dieing again. Did this several time before clearing up and running real good for about two to three weeks. Then it started doing the same thing again. Once again it just cleared up before I had any tools to diagnose it. Been running good till this years trip to americade, in fact I towed a trailer the with no problem. While up the it started the same thing again and this time I had some tools to work with. Ended up being the fuel pump sticking. I would check the pump real good.