IGNORED

Trailer Weight?

a1bummer

So how much weight is safe to pull behind an 84 VR? I've seen these Aspen popup campers that are being pulled by mototcycles. I have an old Nimrod Capri that's 12" wider and a couple inches shorter. I was wondering how much of a difference there would be. I don't know how heavy it is but I can slide it side to side by myself when it's hooked to my car. I would thing it would catch alot of sidewinds and cause alot of drag. How heavy is a typical trailer anyway?

Well lets see my big rear 230lbs wifes little rear 110lbs luggage 45-50lbs 83 Venture 760-790lbs = 1,000 -1,180 lbs different for everybody.The dry weight on our trailer is around 240lbs loaded i would say around 450?

buddy

Hey thanks. That's what I suspected. This popup is 5'(Wide) x 80"(long) x 40"(high) when folded, with a 41" long tounge. I'm pretty sure it's light enough, but it sure is ugly. I would think something that size and weight would pull the back end of a bike around pretty good on a windy day. Or am I wrong? Any input on how a bike handles with a trailer behind?

Hey thanks. That's what I suspected. This popup is 5'(Wide) x 80"(long) x 40"(high) when folded, with a 41" long tounge. I'm pretty sure it's light enough, but it sure is ugly. I would think something that size and weight would pull the back end of a bike around pretty good on a windy day. Or am I wrong? Any input on how a bike handles with a trailer behind?

I have pulled trailers behind both gens of Ventures with no problem. In all kinds of weather including 50 mph winds. There are time that you wont even feel a trailer behind you (Your pop up will be a bit different).

Biggest thing to remember is that you keep a larger stopping distance, if the trailer comes with electric brakes then I would utilize them. Just use good common sence and you will have no problems.

I have pulled trailers behind both gens of Ventures with no problem. In all kinds of weather including 50 mph winds. There are time that you wont even feel a trailer behind you (Your pop up will be a bit different).

Biggest thing to remember is that you keep a larger stopping distance, if the trailer comes with electric brakes then I would utilize them. Just use good common sence and you will have no problems.

Is that the same if its hauling Cheesecake?!!

I was way wrong! This thing is way to heavy! I put the scale under one wheel, and just over 318 lbs. the scale said ERROR. The tounge weight alone was 105lbs. Add it all up and it would weigh almost as much as the bike. I didn't really want to haul that thing behind my VR anyway... IT'S UGLY! All this info will help when I build my trailer and when I figure in what I want to bring on a trip. Thnx everyone.

I was way wrong! This thing is way to heavy! I put the scale under one wheel, and just over 318 lbs. the scale said ERROR. The tounge weight alone was 105lbs. Add it all up and it would weigh almost as much as the bike. I didn't really want to haul that thing behind my VR anyway... IT'S UGLY! All this info will help when I build my trailer and when I figure in what I want to bring on a trip. Thnx everyone.

Just remember too that you only want about 40 lbs of tounge weight on the bike. You'll have to experiment with loading the trailer correctly, heavier items toward the center and back. It takes a bit of practice but you'll get it handled :happy34:

I bought my little camper last summer and it weighed in about 370#. I would say loaded up it was closer to 410#, at least. I loaded it to have about 20/25# tongue weight.

I was surprised as how well my 83 pulled it, but when it came to stopping, I really tried to be careful to have plenty of room. I upgraded with better brake pads and always felt the bike had plenty of power to pull it thru and over the mountains.

RandyA