IGNORED

Kuryakyn ISO Grips for first gen

Any body got them on their first gen? I rode a friends suzuki around a parking lot last week and she has a set on the bike. Really liked them, but cant find a part number for 89 VR. Will the "universal" number work?

I wouldnt use the universal grips as I believe they are not long enough.

I believe that the 6235's or universal grips are 5-3/4" long

I am using the 6180 series Kuryakyn Iso Grips that seem to fit the first gen Ventures just fine.

The Kuryakyn 6180 series grips are advertised at 7/8" x 6-1/4" which is about the longest grip you can purchase.

This matches up pretty well with the stock grips.

I also used my original sleeve which was in great shape.

A word of caution when using the Kuryakyn supplied glue is that is has similar viscocity and stick of Superglue so extreme care should be used when applying.

I put on 5000 miles so far getting familiar with the Iso grips and I absolutely love these grips.

I do suggest that you follow their installation directions down to the letter. Especially related to the amount of glue for one, and the right versus left grip angle for another.

I usually try to prefer "function over form" as they say... but in this case I let the left side of my brain tell me to glue them in so the angle was identical when not riding the bike.

So now they look good at rest, but with the throttle angle at say 1/8 of a twist the right side is at a much better angle than the left side. You will notice the contact areas of the raised rubber grips on your hand over a long distance ride.

I have used the foam style grips for the last 15 years so the Iso grips were a hard sell for me to convert.

The rubber on these grips just seems to grip better as they weather which so far was a complete surprise. No noticeable fatigue related to these grips.

I guess the true test will be over the next couple years of riding, but at this time I would recommend to anyone interested in improving their ride comfort and performance!

daveg90 aka SuperSport

I got them for my 84 Standard. I didn't use there glue, I used black silicon gasket material. They are on good and tight. Also check the "Throttle Boss", that attaches to the base of the grip. It allows you to rest your hand on it and it works like a throttle lock. PoorMans cruise control. joe