IGNORED

GARMIN ZUMO 550 HELP WITH "keying"

newman

Hi Guys,

Bought a Garmin Nuvi 550, I currently have it hooked up with through the audio in/out.

I want to be able to "Key" the mic so that when the GPS gives audible directions

the "keying" of the mic will let the other riders hear whats being said along with me.

When I key the mic now, I can't hear whats being said and nobody else can hear

anything...... What am i doing wrong? I know it's possible as I think somebody else

has it working from a group ride I was on last year.

If you do get this figured out, please send the information to me as to how to wire it up like that. I to would like to do that too..

I would really appreciate it..thanks:thumbsup2:

I presume you must be on headset, but even if you weren't your Gps is , again I presume , connected throug the aux input to your radio/cb controler if so then keing the mike will mute all other connected sound sources. So the only way you can continue to hear the GPS is to decouple it fron the system. Sounds like an awfull lot of work to me....

Keying the Mic for GPS prompts for other riders in the group to hear it would be awesome.

There must be a simple way to do this? Yes I am using my headset and I am connected to the AUX plug in the cassette player.

Any helps on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PAUL

http://www.ontario-motorcycle-rides.com

http://www.motorcycle-road-test.com

I agree with Wayne and AZ1103. To do that you would have to have two seperate systems. 1.CB/Radio/Cassette 2. Zumo (which would have to have it's own speakers so you could hear the prompts when keying the mic.) The Zumo prompts are fairly far enough out to pass on the info prior to turns, exits etc. Besides, the lower right hand corner of the Zumo... "Turn In" (in the map mode) tells you how far you have to go before your next turn. Press that button and it also gives you voice instructions of how far you have to go before you turn. Press the button again and it gives you visual turn by turn instructions. Every time you press the window it gives you each subsequent turn. In other words you have plenty of leeway to let anyone else know whats coming up.

Ride Safe,

Semper Fi,

Jerry

Besides pressing the lower right while navigating , press the top banner above the map (top of screen) and the map will turn into text , giving detailed directions . There you can read and transmit the directions yourself over the CB .

BEER30

• 5 months later...

This is a bit old but seems to have gone without a conclusion.

You should be able to do this but will take a mixer device(s), switches, and some wiring work. Probably not as simple as you would hope for.

The short answer is - go with a modified Kennedy solution that connects the GPS to the intercom ckt ($$$), or do a dedicated GPS audio to intercom connection (some work and $$),or just repeat the turn instructions over the CB (free - $).

To transmit the voice prompts (which means the GPS audio - any audio music and all turn voicings) the GPS audio presented on your AUX input now must also be mixed with your microphone wiring on the bike that feeds the intercom/CB mic inputs. I have not done this (yet) or done a detailed look at the schematics but here are a few options I can think of, presented somewhat conceptually at this point.

This is long and written as it came to my mind, edited as I eliminated first thoughts that seemd good at first but logically could not work in the end. These I think have some merit still.

This assumes a RSV audio wired system, no bluetooth audio solutions. To get the CB to transmit the audio, you have to connect the GPS audio to the intercom mic (properly) some way.

Method 1: Simplest solution - GPS Audio always on over intercom.

- Assumes no passenger using the passenger mic connection.

- GPS Music and Turn voicing routed to intercom mic line in place of a passenger mic.

- No stereo music/voice connection to aux input.

- Note that if music is playing when PTT is pressed, it will be rebroadcast (illegal).

- Intercom plays the music from GPS in mono over the intercom - not great but simplest.

- No power or PTT sensing required in simplest form if it works.

a. Connect the GPS left channel output (L audio+gnd) to the passenger connector mic pins via a non-polarized audio capacitor (in case the mic is powered condenser mic versus dynamic mic element). Done properly an impedance matching transformer or amp would be used, but this might be good enough for proof of concept. Even better a mixer would be used to combine the L+R channels going into the mic line.

b. Upgrade solution - use the PTT switch to operate a switch that connects the GPS audio to the mic on transmist only.

Method 2: Switched GPS audio between the passenger mic and the Aux input

- Same as above with changes below

a. Connect the right GPS audio line to the Right Aux input line (straight through)

b. Connect the Left GPS audio to a relay or other suitable audio switch (a small FET switch circuit for example) common contacts

c. Connect the relay/switch normally closed contacts to the Aux input left channel

d. Connect the relay/switch normally open contacts to the mic input (via a non-polarized cap possibly?)

d. Control the relay/switch from the PTT switch so when PTT is pressed, the GPS audio is connected to the mic line. The aux input is opened, but the system mutes the Aux input anyways. A switch/relay is used here to avoid line loading issues connecting one output to 2 inputs.

e. Provide DC power

Method 3: Full time GPS Aux connection, sampled GPS audio to switched passenger mic input.

- similar to Method 2 above

a. Connect the GPS audio to the AUX input full time.

b. Using a suitable high impedance buffer audio amp, tap off the left (or right) channel audio and connect the amp output to the passenger mic connector line via a switch or relay device.

c. Use the PTT to enable/disable the amp output (or disconnect via a relay/switch) to silence the duplicate GPS audio over the intercom. PTT enables connection to mic.

Simple solutions are difficult to come by here so real solutions using proper mixers and impedance matching and muting cost money. The Kennedy line is an example of the variety and complexity these solutions involve to do it right.

Overall, the effort does not seem worth the value of this specific need (to transmit turn instructions over the CB). It is a lot easier to repeat the instructions reading the display.

It is an interesting mental exercise to me to think about how this could be done, if time and cost were not a concern to me. I am gettng a Zumo shortly and thinking how I could have it play over the intercom (to hear the FM radio) and hear the full fidelity music over the AUX (selectable) but decided it was better to just connect it to the AUX input only and select it when I need to hear it. The GPS mutes the music if playing. One side effect is the AUX input is muted when the CB squelch opens which if listening to people talking a bunch can cause you to miss a turn announcement - so have to keep an eye out on the display. Only way around that is to connect the GPS to the intercom full time, or switch it between aux or intercom as your needs dictate. If I did not care about the GPS MP3 music player function or quality, I would connect it to the intercom some way full time as this has priority over all other audio sources. But it also requires more work than the aux connection,which is free.

Anyway, interesting problem.

:080402gudl_prv:

- Mike

Further thoughts:

This manufacturer has lots of audio switching modules. They run on 24-33 volts but apart from that, you could combine a couple of these for a solution I think with no custom circuit design/build. They are also expensive devices so the Kennedy is probably a better solution once again.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=278

The ST-ACR2 is a line level voice controlled relay. When inserted in the microphone line, when the GPS speaks the turns or plays music, it would automatically select the GPS audio instead of the normally connected Mic audio. You will likely need an attenuator on the GPS output also to better match the mic low level signal.

The ST-VOX1 (http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=155) is a similar VOX switch which can control muting/switching also.

You just press the PTT at the right time to pass on audio from the GPS.

This solution scheme preserves the passenger mic input by switching one of them automatically.

There are cheaper 12V VOX relays kits out there also.

Too much good stuff.

- Mike