Have a squeaking in drivtrain I believe. Sounds much like a bad u-joint. Squeak gets faster with speed of bike. Recently replaces rear tire. Lubed axle,repacked bearing and change final gear oil. Any ideas as to whats causing noise? Thanks in advance

Are you sure its from the rear end? This sounds like a speedo cable squeek if you arent positive its back end.

When my 89 started the rear end noise it was more of a grinding....thought I needed a new joint as well...turns out it just needed some grease. And I couldnt hear it at speed...just when rolling or pushing the bike.

Well, there ya go, several possibilities! I guess the only real way to find out is to pull the driveshaft and inspect the u joints if the other suggestions don't pan out. It is a bit of a job but nothing that can't be acomplished in an afternoon. There is a copy of the service manual located in the tech section of this site that is a lot better at describing how to do it than me typing it out!

On a bike over 20 years old the possibility of dry and rusted needle bearings is indeed a distinct possibility, and yes, they have been known to go bad but it's not a regular common problem...

I can hear it while riding.I'll try the lugs as I dont recall ever greasing there. Had bike ina couple yrs back for new rear and they said they lubed everything. I put tire on this time,lubed bearing and replace gear oil,didnt think to do others while apart.I know stupid,was in a hurry only had 2 hrs,used most of it to figure out how to get everything apart as I couldnt find owners manual. Found that a week later while looking for something else in garage. Put it in one of those safe spots so I dont lose only to forget where the sasfe spot was. Hate gettin old. Thats for the help,can check all if I disassemble again so any others ideas welcome so I do it once

Possibley the bearings on the rear wheel. One on the wheel hub, and the other inside the pumpkin.

Also, pull out the drive shave, the forward spline,on the drive shaft , has probably never been removed and greesed. Most do this every time they replace the rear tire.

To get the u-Joint out you have to completly remove the Swing Arm,

Sombody, had a P/N for an automobile U-Joint, if you need a new one. lot cheaper then Yamaha OEM. Forgot who it was though. Just ask, sombody will pop up with that information.

I would suggest getting new swing arm bearings, if you do this, as long as you have it out.

Also, check the 3 lower cross bolts bottom of the Rear Shock Assembly, These bols have bushings, they are most likley shot in need of replacement also. Replace bolts. and bushings, ( 3 of them )