I would like to put a three pocket windshield pouch on my 07 RSTD. Has anyone put one on, and how did you mount it? Had a Harley one on my Venture (sold it with the bike). Looks like it would need to be mounted to the windshield bolts, but needs to rise upward a bit to miss the speedo. What does anyone have and how is it mounted?

I drilled the rivets that held the three bags to the back plate and removed all three bags from the plastic back plate. Then I aligned the center bag (by eye) to the center of the windshield, while I sat on the bike in a straight up position. I had my wife (using a black marker) put a dot on the outside of the windshield where the rivet holes are in the bag.

Then I drilled samll holes in the windshield where she placed the black dots.

I then installed small black allen head screws (from the front side of the windshield thru the leather bag, and used chrome acorn nuts to fasten the leather bag to the inside of the windsheild.

The I placed (one at a time) each side bag in its position and had my wife makr the windshield for them, and mounted them the same way.

Now when I remove my windshield the three bags are attached to it all in one piece.

I also placed some velcrow under each leather bag on the edge of the dash board so that they do not scuff up the paint from vibration or movement...

Quote:

Then I drilled samll holes in the windshield where she placed the black dots.

I then installed small black allen head screws (from the front side of the windshield thru the leather bag, and used chrome acorn nuts to fasten the leather bag to the inside of the windsheild.

Unquote-

I thought about doing the same thing but I have a horrible fear of having stress cracks appear in the windshield after a few thousand miles of road travel. Had tried the same thing on my boat plexiglass windows and wasn't happy with the results after a year.

I have an '98 RSTC with Silverado windshield and I purchased a set of pouches (must really say, they were really expensive and not as practical as I thought they would be), so I removed the bags from the original back piece (didn't line up with the windshield acorn nuts) and placed them on another piece of leather, made holes to match the windshield screws and used a size longer set of chromed screws for the installation. With the metal strip on the front side of the windshield and the backing on the inside, I don't have a fear of visible vibration or stress cracks. Time will tell however.

Please tell us how you solved your installation when you get it done. I kind of like the idea of posting such things in the forum because it forces me to be much neater and professional in my work since I know over 5,000 avid bikers will be wanting to see the results. Best of luck!

I put a Hoppnel 3 pouch on my rstd. I removed the 5 screws across the top of the windshield frame and cut the backing of the bags to fit the screw holes. slid it in place and screwed it back together. It's been working great. If I can ever find my camera (I think one of the kids "browed" it) I'll post some pics.

I put a Hoppnel 3 pouch on my rstd. I removed the 5 screws across the top of the windshield frame and cut the backing of the bags to fit the screw holes. slid it in place and screwed it back together. It's been working great. If I can ever find my camera (I think one of the kids "browed" it) I'll post some pics.

That's the bag I am looking at buying. I too am a bit wary of drilling holes in the shield. if you can get some pic's I'd sure appreciate it.

That's the bag I am looking at buying. I too am a bit wary of drilling holes in the shield. if you can get some pic's I'd sure appreciate it.

I have beenwanting to do the same and would also like some pics if possible of the finished project. Thanks

[okscott]

I too am a bit wary of drilling holes in the shield. if you can get some pic's I'd sure appreciate it.

[Grey Fox

I have been wanting to do the same and would also like some pics if possible of the finished project. Thanks

[FuzzyRSTD]

What Grey Fox said, or me too, or count me in, yes pics please.

Well here are the pics you asked for. Sorry it took me so long. I just now found your requests.

These are the only two I have of the windshield pouch on mine

He has a RSTD. That would be different.

OPPs..didnt pay attention... sorry..

Cant he just get a bag that he can attach to the support hardware on the backside of the windshield?

Closest thing I have to the RSTD is the Silverado windshield bag which is attached using the two center screws / bolts..and it is only one pouch not the three bag..

I thought about doing the same thing but I have a horrible fear of having stress cracks appear in the windshield after a few thousand miles of road travel. Had tried the same thing on my boat plexiglass windows and wasn't happy with the results after a year.

Tip: use a new drill bit .... tape both sides of the plastic .... drill at medium speed and no more pressure than the weight of the drill ... then, heat up the opposite end of the drill bit and slide it into the hole in a twisting motion (use the drill) and out again quickly (this will "sear" the plastic inside the hole and around it's edges and prevent any stress cracks or edge chipping)

Another method is to get a rubber grommet with a centre hole the right size for the machine screws you'll use for attaching the bag. Drill holes in the w/s large enuf for a tight fit for the grommet using above Tip. Insert the grommet and attach the bag. Use slightly smaller washers than the size of the grommet and use self-locking nuts. Don't over tighten. -OR- find some of those metal washer/spacers similar to what you'd find holding the various plastic pieces onto the bike and insert those into the grommet.

(I've not tried the grommet method ... just thought it might be a workable solution coz it seems to make sense to me)

Thanks for the pics. Looks like what I will do (once I can find enough fundage to hide from the wife). Told her when I bought this bike I'd get everything I wanted with the bike, $1,200 in accessories when I bought the bike and I still have a wish list. Thanks again

I drilled my windshield to mount a three pouch bag. But instead of just bolting the bag to the windshield, I went one step further by getting some snaps, those similiar to helmet faceshield snaps, and makes my windshield bag easily removed for cleaning.[ATTACH]19127[/ATTACH]

I bought a BOSS BAGS #33 at Myrtle Beach bike week last October. The bag was $125. it is a high end product.

I had them install it for $10 more. I got a deal on that.

But once I told them they can remove the windshield, all went well.

Took them about 30 minutes. They did not have to modify the windshield.

They took the bolts out and mounted it. They did have to put a couple of extra holes in the bag, that you don't see. They were able to use the original bolts.

The bag is very high quality. It does have leather (or vinyl) on the front instead of cheap looking felt or what ever the China bags use.

I get a lot of complements on it.

(My only issue is that I'm thinking about a Clearview Windshield with a vent. The vent location may conflict with the bag.)

See bag: #33 http://www.bossbags.com/windshield%20pouchs.html

Mike G in SC

I got the drink holder at the local bike store. They have a holder that attaches to your bar and holds tight. works great! Cost 12 bucks.

Wal Mart sells the same holder for $5.00... comes in chrome also...:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...