IGNORED

Yamaha Roadside Assistance

PGunn

Last Saturday I ended up stuck on the roadside due to an error on my part. Now no one was hurt the bike is fine but I did come out of it with a lesson learned thing. When I called Yamaha Roadside Assistance for a tow truck to pick up my bike and I found them to be very helpful. I called around noon and received a call back around 12:20 telling me the truck would be there in 45 minutes to an Hour which wasn't bad time wise I thought. After them I call my wife and told her of the problem and she said she would be there in about the same time. Well my wife shows up and I get in the car, it was around 80 out and a nice clear sunny day, we were talking for a while and I look at the clock and it's around 2:00 pm and no tow truck and so I figured call Yamaha back and see what is going on, "Sorry all out operators are busy at the moment....", so I plugged the cell phone into the charger and let it sit there as I don't want to loose my place in line and after 30 minutes I gave up. So now it's around 2:30 and still no truck so I call 411 get the dealers number and call them. They tell me that yes Yamaha did contact them but the towing is handled by someone else and they don't know who. So I get out of the car ask my wife to go to the next exit get me some water because I stopped sweating around an hour ago, remember it's 80 and no clouds in the sky, so she takes off and comes back around 10 minutes later with water and a sub (reminder to self "always put at least 2 bottles of water in saddle bag before going out"). I tried Yamaha and still "All lines are busy..." I get out of the car walk around for a bit and get back in the car it is now around 3:10 and still no truck. My wife says try them again and I just give her one of those why bother looks so she tries and you know it gets right through.

Well the lady who answered the call asks whats the problem and I explained in a calm tone that I called in around 12 and received a call back around 12:20 that the truck would be there in 45 minutes to an hour. She asks me what time is it now where you are and I said 3:15 and all I here is "Oh my god sir I am so sorry. Let me see what the hold up is and I'll get right back to you.". So I figure ok here we go she is going to hang up and call me back in an hour or not at all but nope she puts me on hold so now I'm thinking ok I'll be on hold until either I get board or the call gets "dropped" well wrong on 2 counts. She is back to me in less then 2 minutes and tells me she is sorry for the delay and a truck will be there in 15 - 20 minutes. She again apologies for the delay and tells me what happened.

The guy who originally took the call screwed up on the case # and never sent the confirm fax to the tow company. Now after a while the tow company calls Yamaha back gives the case # and is told that is not a valid case # and closes the call. My question to her was why didn't anyone call me back asking if the truck showed or to even verify the ticket. She said that was her # 1 question also it seems she is a shift supervisor who was working random calls and she was upset that this even happened and we parted on good terms.

Well the truck shows up in 15 minutes and it's a tow truck not a flat bed. Now I'm looking at this thinking either this guy is real good or he is upset with his boss and does not care about the damage to the bike. Well he gets out of the truck and starts right away about how Yamaha has screwed him twice today and I told him I know the whole story and that I also know that it had nothing to do with him. Well he has me move the bike so he can hook it up and I'm watching him. This guy was good, he put a sling around the steering head up through the inside of the handlebars and the other sling between the saddle bags and through the tire. He then unhooks the 2 cables from the sling on the truck runs the boom out and connects each cable to each sling and lifts the bike. He them retracts the boom sets the bike on the "T" bar straps the tires on the bike to the "T" bar and then ties the "T" bar to the truck and lifts the bike up just to snug everything up. We made it to the Dealer, Hudson Cycle Center in NH, with 1 minute to spare, they close at 4 we got there at 3:59. The guys at Hudson are a great bunch and they had the bike back to me in no time after the replacement seal got there.

The problem with the bike... I re-jetted the carbs and pinched off the crankcase vent when I put it back together and blew a seal and it was a lesson learned... Check everything as you reassemble and do a short trip around the block a few times to check things out before going out riding!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flb_78 viewpost.gif

Next they'll tell ya you can't tow a car with a Goldwing.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=AuL7cOO6EfY]YouTube - Japanese Tow Trucks[/ame]

I Love It. If that is possible I believe towing a VR with a VR is possible given the right combination of engineering, physics,mo%20money.gif and creative thinking to design the right suspension and trailer combination. I may not attempt it on this trip but I believe my next venture idea has been hatched. Just think of the possibilities.

Harley Davidson

Roadside Assistance Vehicle