IGNORED

Battery Charging

Biker Bob

I haven't been riding for a while and my battery is dead. I have a two amp trickle charger, a long with a 10 and 15 amp charger. Can i use the 10 or 15 amp to charge my battery, or should i use the trickle charger? In the past i've jumpted started from a car battery with no damage.

Thanx Bob

:detective:

I have always been told when charging a mc battery best to use the trickle charger, mine has a 2 amp, and 6 amp setting, I always use the 2 amp setting, normally takes 30 to 40 minute to build up enuff charge to get it started...............I even use the same setting on my van battery.........

Use the trickle charger and charge the battery completely before starting the bike. If you don't you could damage the charging system of the bike and the battery also. The charging system was only designed to replace the energy used to start the bike and then run the lights and other accessories. By jumping a dead battery or charging until you get enough to start the bike and then run the bike you are putting an enormous load on the charging system.

By using a higher amp charger on a MC battery you take the chance of overheating the battery and thus damaging it.

I've always heard the same thing about charging a MC battery with too much current. But as I think about it, the stock alternator can put out what, 30 or so amps. I don't see any current limiters in between that and the battery. I'd go ahead and put a 10 or 15 amp charger on it. I've done it on mine. When you jump start the bike from a car battery you're getting a lot more current than that. Just make absolutely sure that you don't overcharge the thing at that rate. It can be ruined in a hurry if you don't pay attention.

Check the water Level, make sure its above the plates. Use Distilled water to top off.

If you have a " Sealed Battery " Use an Intence light to try to determine if the fluid is above the plates. If its below the plates, then the Sealed battery is probably toast. If its over 3 years old, its problably toast.

For charging a Lead Acid MC battery, thats in a " Low " charge state, you need to charge it at 2 to 6 amps untill the Charge indicator on the charger, shows less then say about .5 Amp.

You can also buy a " Specific Gravity " testor to get an accurate determination of the charge state. But this will not work with a Sealed battery, as you cannot get into it.

Usually at 2 Amps, it will take 6 or more hours to reach a full charge.

Forget the Trickle charger, get a Real charger.

With your engine running at about 2000 RPM, Take a DC voltage reading at the + Battery terminal, you should see Between 13.4 to 14 volts. Use a Digital Voltmeter, so you can get an Accurate Voltage Reading.

IF-- its in the Low 12 volt range, ( the charging voltage that is ) then you probably have some problems in your charging system.

Due to ampere / hour rating and size never charge motorcycle battery with high output charger. Doing so will decrease battery life, heating being one problem. Standard rule for charging is 10% of ampere/hour rating. Venture batteries are rated 18 a/h meaning 1.8 amp charge rate. A 2 amp charger would work fine.Will mention that I think a battery tender is a good thing to use when bike is not used once a week etc. I always use it through the winter. I have a 99 Venture and just replaced original Yuasa battery last week. You can purchase one from Harbor Freight right now on sale for 5.95 way cheaper then the bike store's.