IGNORED

Tire size / handling

tooldood

In reading the different posts regarding tire size vs handling - I have a question... Does going from the 150-/80 -16 to the 130/ 80-16 make a difference in handling because it is skinnier or because it is shorter??

If it is because it is shorter (and lowers the front a smidge), can't it be replaced with a 150/60 or a 150/50 (provided they are available)??  

Scott (tooldood) Shaw

Edited by tooldood

If you use a 130/90 the height is the same.  If you use a 130/80 you might want to check the load rating to see if it matches the stock tire which the 130/90 does.  The narrower tire makes it easier to steer at low speed.  

Lowering the front or raising the rear does improve the low speed maneuverability.   I prefer to raise mine but I can handle the slight increase in seat height.   I have not experienced the smaller tire but I recall hearing that  it has a negative effect on higher speed handling.  If you can’t do the rear height increase you could slide the forks up in the triple tree.  It should be pretty easy to do.

13 hours ago, tooldood said:

I may be wrong (just ask my wife) but isn't part of the reason for converting that it lowers the front end a bit for height challenged riders??

I don’t think so.  The conversion is done because it is said to improve handling.  My only experience with it was on a trike and it definitely improved handling.  Did not lower the front.  I think the handling difference is a combination of a narrower tire and less weight. 

8 hours ago, Freebird said:

I don’t think so.  The conversion is done because it is said to improve handling.  My only experience with it was on a trike and it definitely improved handling.  Did not lower the front.  I think the handling difference is a combination of a narrower tire and less weight. 

Ok, so skinnier handles better - even if it it near the same height... right?