IGNORED

Part Number Search. Steering head bearing and what exactly do I need to replace during Fork Seal Replacement

So it looks like ive found the steering head bearings. Do i need to replace the the races as well?  I never really notice any looseness in my steering but at 90k miles I feel its due. I'm also due for a fork seal change and as I see it on Partzilla, it looks like there are 2 part numbers for each piece of the front fork assembly.  

I obviously need new oil seals which are part 6 and 36. Should I replace the dust seals as well?  Looking at Freebird's tech write up, I see a copper bushing and another bushing towards the bottom of the fork assembly.  Here's a picture with the bushings 21.jpg (640×480) (venturerider.org)

I dont think i see them on the partzilla page shown here Yamaha Motorcycle 1988 OEM Parts Diagram for FRONT FORK | Partzilla.com

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Oil seals and dust seals for sure. I'm not sure that Yamaha carries the sliders still. I think you can probably get away without changing the sliders, although it's better to do them when apart.

If you are doing a bearing,, any bearing, the races are part of the bearing. Everything needs to be replaced. You might not be able to feel anything when you turn the steering, visual is the better way to go.

• Thanks 1

If you are going to have the forks apart, now is a good time to upgrade to Progressive Springs in there. There is a good chance the stocks ones are sagging and now performing that well.  The Progressive part number is 11-1112 and are an excellent replace for the stock springs.  Here is a link to a forum thread on making a tool you will need and I suggest you read the whole tread..

You can so a search and find out more information on doing the seal change out and replacing the steering head bearing and races. The tough one to replace is the bottom on as you might need a press to replace it.  The races can be carefully cut out and to install the new races, stick them in the freezer over night before install and the will shrink up a bit from the cold and they go in easier.

Good luck with all of it and if you have more questions, ask away.

Rick F.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, Marcarl said:

Oil seals and dust seals for sure. I'm not sure that Yamaha carries the sliders still. I think you can probably get away without changing the sliders, although it's better to do them when apart.

If you are doing a bearing,, any bearing, the races are part of the bearing. Everything needs to be replaced. You might not be able to feel anything when you turn the steering, visual is the better way to go.

Thanks! Skydoc_17 helped me find the replacement bearings and races!

On 11/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, cimmer said:

If you are going to have the forks apart, now is a good time to upgrade to Progressive Springs in there. There is a good chance the stocks ones are sagging and now performing that well.  The Progressive part number is 11-1112 and are an excellent replace for the stock springs.  Here is a link to a forum thread on making a tool you will need and I suggest you read the whole tread..

You can so a search and find out more information on doing the seal change out and replacing the steering head bearing and races. The tough one to replace is the bottom on as you might need a press to replace it.  The races can be carefully cut out and to install the new races, stick them in the freezer over night before install and the will shrink up a bit from the cold and they go in easier.

Good luck with all of it and if you have more questions, ask away.

Rick F.

Thanks Rick! I appreciate it! I've already installed progressives about 70K miles ago, now I just have sad, weeping fork seals. I may add a little more to the spacer to make up for the mileage slack. I'm a little nervous about the steering head bearings, but I've got all winter and decently heated garage to take my time to do it!

8 hours ago, Chaharly said:

Thanks! Skydoc_17 helped me find the replacement bearings and races!

Thanks Rick! I appreciate it! I've already installed progressives about 70K miles ago, now I just have sad, weeping fork seals. I may add a little more to the spacer to make up for the mileage slack. I'm a little nervous about the steering head bearings, but I've got all winter and decently heated garage to take my time to do it!

And if you need advice, don't be afraid to ask.