IGNORED

84 LCD Questions

So after lots of work.... starter clutch, stainless steel brake lines, new fuse block, etc. thanks to the collective wisdom.... I have her running again!

BUT I can't see the warning portion of the LCD panel, the clock and gear are visible.

Are these parts of the display feed separate? or separate lights that provide the contrast?

OR is this a symptom of the soder needing to be reflowed? 

If you dont have the service manual for your 84 Venture, you can download one here. https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1983-1985 Yamaha Venture Service Manual.pdf

There is a page that shows the wiring diagram for your bike and it does appear that there is a connection to the monitor from the different items on the bike it watches.  You will need to remove the dash and most likely the fairing to access the back of it.

Check out page 444 of the manual and it shows the monitor and connection on the schematic as part of the meter assembly. Maybe the connector is loose or the contacts need a good cleaning, but at least you could take some measurement to see if the signals are getting to the monitor.

Cant help you much more as I have an 89 VR and it is different in that department.

Good luck

Rick F.

• Like 1