IGNORED

Recommendations for a new laptop computer.

Mariner Fan

Ditto what BSREG said on page one. My daughters are in college and each have Toshiba. The wife is in grad school with a new Toshiba.... and I have a new Dell Latitude D530 from work. They are all new and working great. You can get the Toshiba from WalMart at a decent price usually. I suggest purchasing the extra warranty.

I'm a Senior Systems Engineer and from time to time I also have to work on these bricks. I'm looking forward to retirement, trading my laptop in for a deluxe Etch-a-Sketch and riding the scoot more..... but that is another 15 years away!

Power Mac G4 400MHz 1999 model still going strong OS X 10.3.9

i Book 466 MHz 2000 model works well on 10.3.9 screen Resolution is low but works

eMac 1GHz with 10.5 Works

Mac Book 2.4 Ghz 10.5 works.

Acer Laptop. Dead.

What I wanna say My first Mac Power Mac G4) run for last 9 years. No upgrades. Just a RAM and Secondary HD. Mac is making so advanced machines, there is not outdated after 9 years. My Acer Laptopis is dead after 3 years. I Was trying to save money, and buy cheper laptop, but on the end i'm lost money.

If you are in to Windows based laptops... Go with Toshiba satellite, or panasonic tough book.

If you can pull the hard drive from your old notebook, put it in a case like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145368

Then you have an external hard disk for cheap, to put pictures, music, and backups on. Once you have all your files back, you can format it to start fresh. You'll find it indisposable. The little box will get power off the usb cable, plugs into just about anything. I've done this for a number of people and they've been really pleased with them.

You can buy a 2.5" hard drive and one of those case and have a nice portable disk. It's almost a freebie when you're getting rid of an old notebook.

It's like four screws to put together, nothing techie about it.

I've had a number of people switch to Macs successfully and happily. All they're doing is word processing, email, internet, etc. Mac is easy on the eyes and brain, and usually rock solid reliable hardware. Unless you have a special windows application (which you could still run on the Mac with a little overhead), it's a great alternative.