IGNORED

Let's hear it for New Hampshire!!

MAINEAC

N.H. leaders focus on motorcycle safety, not helmets

By Terry Date

Staff writer

Stow that helmet if you want.

Charlie St. Clair, executive director of Laconia Motorcycle Week, and many other motorcyclists say they only wear a helmet in states where they are forced to do so.

New Hampshire isn't one of those states.

In these parts, many people think education — not mandatory helmets — will save lives. That education is focused on public awareness and motorcyclist training, said Peter Thomson, head of the New Hampshire Highway Safety Agency.

The state's safety awareness campaign goes into full swing in May and June, before Motorcycle Week from June 14 to 22. It includes roadside safety messages, the distribution of bumper stickers and an annual rally on the State House steps.

The information blitz urges the public to share road space with motorcycles, and riders and drivers to be aware of each other.

The state police always urge motorists to increase following distances, not to crowd the center line and not to drink and drive, said Sgt. Steven Ford.

Ford, himself, rides a motorcycle in his personal life and always wears a helmet. His experience responding to accidents tells him that helmets save lives.

"Some are so devastating that it wouldn't make a difference, but if you have a serious head injury ..." he said, pointing out a helmet wouldn't help in that case.

State safety officials also urge motorcyclists to attend the Motorcycle Rider Training Program, offered by the state Division of Motor Vehicles. Two private companies also offer the class.

About 64,000 motorcycles are registered in New Hampshire. Last year, about 3,000 people took the classes through the state, and another 650 through the two private companies, Thomson said.

He said the program helps novices and older people who haven't ridden for years. While motorcycles have become faster and bigger, he said, older riders' reflexes have slowed with age.

Course coordinator Katie Daley said the class includes instruction on turning, stopping, avoiding vehicles, shifting and wearing a helmet.

"(We) absolutely recommend everyone wear a helmet," she said. "No one goes through our course without one."

Nonetheless, the state has no intention of enacting a helmet law for adults, lawmakers say.

New Hampshire champions the rights of individuals to choose for themselves. St. Clair, Thomson, and Sen. Robert Letourneau, R-Derry, are among those who support an adult's right to choose whether to wear a helmet.

Is it ironic, that the state won't enact a helmet law but it also won't let you take its safety class without one?

No, Letourneau says.

Those who take the basic course never leave the parking lot, he said. The helmet is needed for liability reasons, he said.

He and St. Clair both said that helmet manufacturers claim their product provides only limited protection.

An industry figure given out in the 1980s maintains that a helmet provides limited protection up to 15 miles per hour, St. Clair said.

"No greater than that," he said, saying that helmets have not changed much since then.

The New Hampshire Motorcycle Safety and Awareness Task Force was formed in 2004, after motorcycle fatalities tripled to 27 from nine in 2003.

The task force decided from the outset that it would push for driver and rider education as a means to reduce fatalities — and not press the Legislature to enact a mandatory helmet law. The state only requires helmets for motorcycle riders under 18.

"If I rode (a motorcycle), I'd wear one," Thomson said. "But I wouldn't push for a law."

At least one task force member thinks mandatory helmets would save lives.

"Although a mandatory helmet law isn't a popular subject, it makes sense when it comes to saving lives," John Kohler said.

Kohler, who offers private motorcycle safety courses, said that at "a minimum new riders should be made to wear a helmet for a period of time."

Letourneau, who has been riding motorcycles for 40 years and owns a Harley-Davidson touring bike, estimates that about half, maybe a little more, of motorcycle riders in the state wear helmets. He bases this on personal observation.

He wears one — on occasion.

St. Clair said most motorcyclists prefer not to wear a helmet. They can be cumbersome and interfere with what some motorcyclists describe as a spiritual experience.

"I am much more comfortable without one," he said.

Many of the riders pouring into the state during Motorcycle Week will be riding without helmets. St. Clair expects about 300,000 visitors from June 14 to 22.

But with many more motorcyclists in the state during Motorcycle Week, the chance of accidents and fatalities rises. There were 10 fatalities during bike week 2006, and five last year.

To help counter the number of deaths, state police go into full patrol mode during Motorcycle Week and help out around Laconia. Trooper days off are cancelled. Vacation days only are allowed for special circumstances, said Ford.

Meanwhile, some say the Legislature would never enact a mandatory helmet law because it would hurt attendance at Motorcycle Week and cut into the hundreds of millions of dollars spent by visitors.

Letourneau acknowledges that a mandatory helmet law would "do a lot of damage to" bike week. But, he said, the issue is a matter of adults being free to make their own choices.

"This is the Live Free or Die state," he said.

Bike Week fatalities

Year%Number of deaths% Deaths where rider did not wear helmet

2004%5%4

2005%4%4

2006%10%9

2007%5%5

Statewide motorcycle fatalities

Year%Number of deaths% Deaths where rider did not wear helmet

2004%27%15

2005%42%34

2006%21%16

2007%25%14

Source: N.H. Department of Motor Vehicles

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it... Just like it's you're right to wear a helmet in New Hampshire or not

I ride without a helmet most of the time unless weather or state laws force me to.. So you probably think I'm dumb... There's probably some things you do that I think are dumb... That's what makes the world go round..

I'm also against any Laws that would make helmets illegal.... Here in Maine "New Riders" and Learner's Permit Riders have to wear a helmet for at least a year or until 18. I personally agree with that idea but as a Libertarian I am opposed to any Laws stating such. But while negotiating with the State the United Bikers of Maine made the concession to keep Maine mostly Helmet Law Free and riders under 18 Must complete a rider course. All new riders have to take a Learner's Permit class as well.

Edited by MAINEAC

but as a Libertarian --------- Are you kidding me?

Someone else that believes in freedom and liberty?

I'm, with ya all the way on this. Back in 1976 when we in Wisconsin were trying to get our helmet law repealed, which we did successfully, with big rallies, and educating our law makers. Whcih brings me to the point that Roger McBride, the libertarian candidtate for president addressed our rally. I couldn't believe that there was a party that believed in freedom as I do. If only people would know what liberty and freedom really is. I still have my "Let those who ride decide" sticker on my tool chest.

Way to go NH.

Education, geez, what a concept.

Steve

Trust me. I'm not calling you guys dumb. Just think the idea of no helmet while riding on public roads is dumb. I've been to probably 250 MC accidents as a cop in my 29 years. I don't have the stats with me but all of the fatalities involving MC were riders with no helmet on. A good portion of those wearing a helmet lived to tell the story although plenty died as well. A human body can take one heck of a lot of abuse except for the head. It's not designed to hit the ground, tree, guardrail or side of a car with no protection.

I always wear my helmet. I believe that the choice should be up to the rider, not the government. I do think training through the equivalent of MSF advanced rider level, at least, should be a mandatory prerequisite to being licensed, however.

Personally I think it should be left up to the person who's riding. I first started riding, many years ago out in Oklahoma. No helmet law out there(at least that's the way it was when I lived there). Moved back to Mass and had to wear one. I don't really mind it too much and considering the way a lot of people drive around here, it's probably not a bad idea. Although I readily admit, as soon as I cross the border into NH, off it comes. I look at it like a little helmet vacation. There are plenty of people that wear those rather thin little skid plates and that meets the helmet laws, but I'll bet it doesn't do a lot in keeping things inside it safe. I do agree with the education aspect. Some people just don't seem to care. I've gotten off my bike at stop signs and redlights and had a word or two with people who were riding a little too close. I always try to be polite (at first) and ask them to leave a little more room in between. But anyways, education is key and if you can start it early enough, hopefully it might help.

Trust me. I'm not calling you guys dumb. Just think the idea of no helmet while riding on public roads is dumb. I've been to probably 250 MC accidents as a cop in my 29 years. I don't have the stats with me but all of the fatalities involving MC were riders with no helmet on. A good portion of those wearing a helmet lived to tell the story although plenty died as well. A human body can take one heck of a lot of abuse except for the head. It's not designed to hit the ground, tree, guardrail or side of a car with no protection.

I have to agree. They have saved me in two different accidents when I am 100 per Cent sure I wouldn't have been getting back up. Body in a little rough shap these days but beats the Hell out of the options!! Maybe I need to show pics of my last helmet again. They are on here somewhere!

I have to agree. They have saved me in two different accidents when I am 100 per Cent sure I wouldn't have been getting back up. Body in a little rough shap these days but beats the Hell out of the options!! Maybe I need to show pics of my last helmet again. They are on here somewhere!

Dan you should put up a pic of that helmet. I know it had an effect on me. I wear mine all the time out of choice. Should be a choice though. I like my head the way it is.

Havin a hard time following you Bigfoot... Are you saying all the accidents involving helmetless riders were fatalities??

You're in VA... VA has a helmet law... Just how many Helmetless fatalities did you see working in a Helmet law State?

I believe in helmets, and I thought Illinois was in the wrong when the repealed their law.

helmets only good to 15 mph? that says nothing. Take your head and hit a curb at 15 mph, and you will want a helmet. If you fall off at 65 mph, you don't necessarily hit your head at 65, but a helmet will protect you through several hits at more than 15 mph much better than nothing.

There are times when no safety equipment is going to help, same as there are times seat belts and air bags won't save you in a car wreck, but the stats are clear, seat belts and bags save lives. and the stats are clear that helmets save lives, and reduce injury severity in many accidents.

I just don't want to take a chance I will be one of the lucky ones that didn't need the helmet.

Well I don't have any official data but I'm guessing with all the bad drivers out there wearing a helmet while driving a car could possibly save lives.. Why stop there how about a four point safety belts or maybe that other thing nascar uses so you don't snap your neck like Dale Earnhart... Or maybe we could get Chrysler, GM, and Ford to only make 66 Chrysler Imperials... Everyone knows they're banned from Demolition Derbys because they're built like a tank... Wouldn't that be "safer"???? After all don't we need more laws to protect people from themselves... Oh wait a second these things would probably "inconvenience" the pencil pushing politicians in our state houses.. Most of those clowns never rode a motorcycle but they listen to the Insurance Lobbyists that are stuffing their Pac funds. Don't get me going on this BS... I started this post to applaud New Hampshire for not even considering taking away Bikers personal freedoms and looking at improving education.

"LIVE FREE OR DIE" - New Hampshire State Motto

Well you've had 2 bad accidents you probably should wear a helmet.

Havin a hard time following you Bigfoot... Are you saying all the accidents involving helmetless riders were fatalities??

You're in VA... VA has a helmet law... Just how many Helmetless fatalities did you see working in a Helmet law State?

I went back and reread what I wrote and it wasn't very clear was it? What I was trying to say is that many of the fatalities were helmetless riders. Helmets are the law here in Va but you'd be surprised how many go without when they are just "testing" some one else's bike or just out for a short spin in the neighborhood. I really believe these laws are in place to protect the stupid and not necessarily the law abiding people such as us. Some people (squids) need to be told how to protect themselves.

In Kentucky you don't have to wear a helmet and I also believe it's just a matter of time till you wish you did wear one. Most of the people I ride with wear them and all the accidents we've seen did a number on the helmets. Thankfully, there have been no fatalities for the ones that wear helmets. My brother and I argue all the time because he doesn't wear one and I don't want to lose him at some later time due to him not wanting people to tell him what to do. It's all about choice, but I think I'm too valuable to my family and friends to not wear the helmet. No matter how you hit the ground, fast or slow, you head will always hit the pavement or near always.....

Eddie

In Kentucky you don't have to wear a helmet and I also believe it's just a matter of time till you wish you did wear one. Most of the people I ride with wear them and all the accidents we've seen did a number on the helmets. Thankfully, there have been no fatalities for the ones that wear helmets. My brother and I argue all the time because he doesn't wear one and I don't want to lose him at some later time due to him not wanting people to tell him what to do. It's all about choice, but I think I'm too valuable to my family and friends to not wear the helmet. No matter how you hit the ground, fast or slow, you head will always hit the pavement or near always.....

Eddie

You're right "it's all about choice"... I wasn't looking to debate Helmet vs. No Helmet.. I'm against State Governments forcing me to wear a Helmet with their BS Laws... I know there are alot of BS laws... This one ticks me off the most.

Just to prove my point that Helmet Laws don't work.. In states that have Helmet Laws in place most Bikers that are opposed to the Law wear skid lids... Are skid lids going to be the difference between Life & Death... Possible but highly unlikely... I know we're supposed to be wearing D.O.T. approved helmets... Here's a news flash: The DOT doesn't test Helmets so who's to say what's "approved" .. There's a lot of grey area in these laws and the cops know it and most don't bother enforcing the DOT thing.

I have a friend who's 3/4 helmeted head hit the road and bounced so fast it snapped his neck... He's been in a wheelchair he runs with his teeth since 1979. So I don't see the helmet as a save all to end all proposition... Does it improve your chances in an accident? Absolutely... But I think it also increases your chances of having an accident.

I’m a former MSF Certified instructor.:backinmyday: I believe in using the proper protective gear when riding. I also believe that it is every adult’s choice as to what protective gear they wear, if any. I don’t believe in helmet and seat belt laws for adults.:cool10:

I’m a former MSF Certified instructor.:backinmyday: I believe in using the proper protective gear when riding. I also believe that it is every adult’s choice as to what protective gear they wear, if any. I don’t believe in helmet and seat belt laws for adults.:cool10:

Another vote for letting Grown-ups be Grown-ups