IGNORED

Question: Old Triumph 650cc

GeorgeS

Friend of mine inherited his fathers 1950 Triumph 650cc .

He will be shipping it to Wa. from Ca. and is going to start a slow methodical Restoration of the Bike.

Was talking to him today, and looking at a few photo's of the bike, its in pretty good condition. And should make a great Restoration project.

Anyway, My Question: The original " Amal " Carbs are known to be pretty much Junk. I was wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions for a replacement carburator for these Vintage Triumphs ? Seems I remember seeing that there might be a Mikuni that could be used as a replacement.

Also, next question would be the Electrical charging systems ( ie. Lucas ) are pretty much junk from back in the 50's. Any suggestions for a Modern Replacement for the electrical system.

Hey " Squeez " do you have any expertise in this area ??

Any and all suggestions are wellcome.

Sorry George, but other than common Sense and what you stated so far, i don't have any UK Bike Expertise. I always managed to keep them away from me. :) :) :)

What i know is what you already stated. The Amal Carbs are the best in the Junk and the old Electrics(not only, but a Lot of Lucas) are best functioning as an Example how not to do something. Regarding the Carb, i could call our local Mikuni Guru, Stephen Topham and ask him for his Opinion.

Regarding the Charging System, i'd go to a local Shop and would have them the Stator rewired with nowerdays Wire and to a 3-Coil System as our Bikes have. Fit a standard R/R from a recent Bike and be good to go. If they used a DC Generator, well i'd have to think about it.

If it's a Thunderbird, it's rather rare, the first year for that in a 650... and the same bike Brando rode in "the Wild one"... Fairly collectable.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/stories/D_IMAGE.1114087faaf.93.88.fa.d0.2c2bef00.jpg

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/images/Articles/Antique/002.jpg

I believe the Tiger model was also a big seller that year...

Yes, its the 650cc 1950, Thunderbird, however, the frame has been modified for an extented fork. He will have to have the frame put back to stock dimensions.

He says he has the original Tank, to replace the chopper tank.

Told me that the Motor does spin over, but the bike has not been on the road for about 15 years. So its going to be a project.

I have been trying to find a Spec Sheet, on line, to find info about the Electrical system, and Carb Spec's, but no luck as yet.

I have found a Mikunie replacement, listed as for TR6/7 single carb kit, avialable in 30mm, 32mm, and 34mm, for 1947 to 1981 models. With a Manifold. So looks like that should solve the Carb problem.

So, will keep looking for the Electrical system Specifications.

Yes, its the 650cc 1950, Thunderbird, however, the frame has been modified for an extented fork. He will have to have the frame put back to stock dimensions.

He says he has the original Tank, to replace the chopper tank.

Told me that the Motor does spin over, but the bike has not been on the road for about 15 years. So its going to be a project.

I have been trying to find a Spec Sheet, on line, to find info about the Electrical system, and Carb Spec's, but no luck as yet.

I have found a Mikunie replacement, listed as for TR6/7 single carb kit, avialable in 30mm, 32mm, and 34mm, for 1947 to 1981 models. With a Manifold. So looks like that should solve the Carb problem.

So, will keep looking for the Electrical system Specifications.

I have had a couple of the Triumphs. Actually the carbs are not much of a problem when they have been adjusted right and if he was to keep it original the carbs should work fine.

The electrical is another problem, I didn't look it up but I think the 1950 model is a 6 volt.

And the charging system sucks, not near enough output for running headlights full time. I'm not sure there is a fix for that but there are upgrades around for just about anything on the bike.

If it were me I would change the electrical system to 12 volt and then you could put and electronic time ignition on it, make a much better starting bike as well as helps the down the road running.

I currently have a 165 BSA lightning and it's 6 volt, pain in the you know what. Gonna have to change that one of these days.

Luckily there are a lot of new parts and new old parts for these bikes.

Jerry

I have had a couple of the Triumphs. Actually the carbs are not much of a problem when they have been adjusted right and if he was to keep it original the carbs should work fine.

The electrical is another problem, I didn't look it up but I think the 1950 model is a 6 volt.

And the charging system sucks, not near enough output for running headlights full time. I'm not sure there is a fix for that but there are upgrades around for just about anything on the bike.

If it were me I would change the electrical system to 12 volt and then you could put and electronic time ignition on it, make a much better starting bike as well as helps the down the road running.

I currently have a 165 BSA lightning and it's 6 volt, pain in the you know what. Gonna have to change that one of these days.

Luckily there are a lot of new parts and new old parts for these bikes.

Jerry

I found the new Ignition System Kits, from a few companies.

At this point, I'm still looking for, whats needed to change then Basic Electrical system from 6 volt to 12 Volt.

Haven't had any luck as yet finding, Schematics, and Specific Information for the 1950 model 650.

But just getting started. --- Will be interesting giveing this guy a hand.