IGNORED

Oil filter parts missing?

Good evening. On some sort of coincidence, I stumbled across the oil filter parts page on the Yamaha website and noticed apparently I have been missing some parts since I owned the bike. The owners manual and the service manual doesn't mention it during the oil filter changing procedure. I ordered the missing parts and installed today. Really didn't notice a difference other than it seems to be more of a PITA to get the threads started in the block. I just hope there hasn't been any long term damage. Looking at the construction of the bypass valve, I was thinking that either the bypass function has been disabled, or the filter has been bypassed letting unfiltered oil back into the lubrication system. Either is not good. I just went over 93K miles and still doesn't use a drop of oil that I can tell so hoping no issues. I can't see oil pressure so it would be hard to say if it is lower or higher than normal. Has anyone else removed these components for any reason? Trying to determine why the original owner would have discarded these parts unless there is a reason I can't think of. 

oil filter parts.jpg

Somebody didn't know what they were doing. It was much easier to install without the spring than with it and after all the filter was in place isn't it?

The spring holds the filter tight against the engine and if the filter should plug for some reason it will be pushed out of the way so that oil will still be processed through the engine. Looks to me like the previous filters weren't used a whole lot, other than filling a void in the cover. You should be just fine I think.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

So if the spring isn't there, then the filter could be pushed away from the block and there would be no filtration of the oil? I didn't know there was supposed to be a spring in there until I saw this post. I guess I'd better find one for my 83.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Abnorml said:

So if the spring isn't there, then the filter could be pushed away from the block and there would be no filtration of the oil? I didn't know there was supposed to be a spring in there until I saw this post. I guess I'd better find one for my 83.

You got that right.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...