IGNORED

H.D. Muffler?

star4772

Any touring harley mufflers should work fine but I think the 07 had catilytic converters in the mufflers. It is a whitish looking brick type thing you can see on the head pipe side of the muffler. If it does have these you can simply use a hammer and long punch to break up the converters and dump it out after which it will work fine. No rejetting needed. I have these on my 99 venture, I have modified them with some drilling:whistling: and they are a deep throaty sound. You'll love 'em. Good luck!!!!!!!!!:080402gudl_prv::thumbsup2:

Big Mike

Any touring harley mufflers should work fine but I think the 07 had catilytic converters in the mufflers. It is a whitish looking brick type thing you can see on the head pipe side of the muffler. If it does have these you can simply use a hammer and long punch to break up the converters and dump it out after which it will work fine. No rejetting needed. I have these on my 99 venture, I have modified them with some drilling:whistling: and they are a deep throaty sound. You'll love 'em. Good luck!!!!!!!!!:080402gudl_prv::thumbsup2:

Big Mike

Thanks Mike so u look at the inlet to see this whitish brick you call it right?

Joe

Thanks Mike so u look at the inlet to see this whitish brick you call it right?

Joe

Yes that is correct. If it has it, it will not be that tough to get out, just some good ol fashion elbow grease. Well worth it though.:080402gudl_prv:

Hey Big Mike, I have only the back end of my HD pipes drilled out. And I was thinking of drilling out the front also and wondered how big of a difference there is? I like the sound now, but I was hoping that a little more bark would quite the little chirping noise I'm getting. Do you have both ends drilled out?

Thanks, BigD

Does anyone have any pictures, drawings, instructions for modifying HD pipes on Ventures to affect the noise? I just bought a pair - I like them, they look GREAT! They sound better than my OEM's - deeper and throatier - but not "loud". A buddy of mine has the Barons, those sound great as well - more meat, tad louder, you hear him coming and going, and when he gets on it, but it is not over bearing. You can ride all day and still hear the audio system - and your ears don't ring at the end of the day!

So I was hoping to make mine sound close to his - I took the Mrs. for a ride on his and she liked them, so I have permission!

I have these HD slash pipes and I was told you can drill holes, remove baffles, etc. Where? At the back of the pipe? Anyone with ANY insight - please share. TIA!

:thumbsup:

Does anyone have any pictures, drawings, instructions for modifying HD pipes on Ventures to affect the noise? I just bought a pair - I like them, they look GREAT! They sound better than my OEM's - deeper and throatier - but not "loud". A buddy of mine has the Barons, those sound great as well - more meat, tad louder, you hear him coming and going, and when he gets on it, but it is not over bearing. You can ride all day and still hear the audio system - and your ears don't ring at the end of the day!

So I was hoping to make mine sound close to his - I took the Mrs. for a ride on his and she liked them, so I have permission!

I have these HD slash pipes and I was told you can drill holes, remove baffles, etc. Where? At the back of the pipe? Anyone with ANY insight - please share. TIA!

:thumbsup:

I am not sure where it is but somebody documented the different steps and just exactly what to do and expect when completed. I know I keep a copy of it in my book. I will try to find it and post the location for all to find. Maybe someone knows already and will post it.

Bubber

aka Steve

Author: BobW

Views: 4051 Votes: 0

Print

Rate This: Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor

Well, here is my final update.

After experimenting with 4 sets of mufflers, what I found is that there are actually 4 phases, not 3. In order from quietest to loudest they are:

Phase 1 - Four 1/2" holes in front donut baffle plate

Phase 2 - Phase 1 plus drill out center rear baffle with 1-1/8" hole saw

Phase 3 - Drill out ONLY the front and rear center baffles - NO holes in front donut baffle plate.

Phase 4 - Phase 2 plus drill out the front center baffle (Four 1/2" holes in front donut baffle and remove front and rear center baffles.)

Phase 1 is a nice pleasant low tone, muffler. Louder than stock RK or RSV mufflers. (Of course your lawnmower is louder than stock RSV mufflers.)

Phase 2 is slightly louder than the Phase 1, mostly adding volume when under load.

The Phase 3 is only slightly louder than the Phase 2, with a slight more growl under load. Gives a little "bark" when you blip the throttle. I probably would not have noticed the difference between these and my Phase 2's if I hadn't been the one to change them out. (The Phase 3 is so close to the Phase 2, that for ease of modification, I would recommend simply doing the Phase 3 with the hole saw instead of fighting with drilling the 4 holes in the front donut baffle.)

The Phase 4 is slightly louder and has a lower tone than the Phase 3. It is, in my opinion a nicer sound than the Phase 3.

The difference between the Phase 3 and Phase 4 is that the four 1/2" holes allow more flow into the outside chamber giving it a lower tone. Same reason you get the lower tone when performing Phase 1.

The old Phase 3 is now Phase 4.

None of the above modifications are objectionable, and the wife says she can hear the radio fine at 15 at Phase 4 on the highway.

Even the Phase 4 is nowhere near a straight pipe or Screamin' Eagle, so you don't have to worry about waking up the neighbor's baby when you leave for work in the morning. But it is loud and "growly" enough for people to take a glance when you come down the road.

Each phase is only slightly louder than the previous phase, so if you decide to go up a phase, you won't have to worry about it being a significant jump that will deafen you. :D

Some have referred to a "puffiness" in the mufflers. I only noticed this in Phase 1, not in any of the subsequent phases.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob W

Last update: 05:49 PM Thursday, June 2, 2005

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=category&cat_id=002

OK I found it on Venturers.ORG under the tech articles, exhaust

Good luck!

Bubber

Thanks Bubber! This is helpful!

Has anyone done any of these mods? Where is the front donut baffle plate - "Phase 1 - Four 1/2" holes in front donut baffle plate"

I can only assume I have to take them off again to make these mods... ;-)

:doh::rotf::confused24:

It's on other site:

http://www.venturers.org/Library_Intro.shtml

You can't make a link directly to a artical there but check under the Tech Library.

Look for Phases Defined under 2nd gen exhaust. I'm at phase 2 and like it.

Jerry

Thanks AZSpyder! Lots of good info in that library! Amazing and fascinating what some guys will do to customize their rides - I am envious!

Here is something I found that clarified what I needed to know:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002009&id=253

In case the link does not work, here is the text:

The RK muffs can be used in four basic ways: In their stock condition, or in Levels 1, 2, or 3 of modification. I strongly suggest that you install the muffs in their stock condition and ride them for a while. If you proceed with further modification, ride several miles after each mod before you proceed to the next level. The true sound produced will be heard after the motor and mufflers have been ridden long enough to really get things hot. My experience is that the longer you ride, the louder the sound seems. I have tried all four levels of modification, and these mufflers are not really loud at level three. I have also used other after market slip on muffs that are much louder than the RK muffs at any level. You can always go to the next level, but you can�t go back, so make sure before you proceed. You may have to do what I have done. I had to buy another set of stock RK muffs, because that is the sound level that suits me best!

So, first mount the stock RK muffs and ride them a while. If you want more sound, here is level 1: Look inside the muffs from the entrance end with a light. You will see a large solid donut shaped solid baffle that holds a perforated tube in the center of the muffler. The large donut baffle has a couple small holes drilled opposite each other about half way between the center tube and the outside skin of the muff. Use a long shanked half inch metal bit and the two small holes as pilots to drill two half inch holes in the large donut baffle. Then carefully drill two more half inch holes opposite the first two, being very careful not to allow the bit to wander (you are drilling at a bit of an angle!) and penetrate the outside skin of the muff. That�s level one -- four half inch holes in the large solid baffle, accessed from the entrance of the muffler. Mount up the muffs and go riding.

Still want more sound? Here is level 2: You will need a 1 1/8� diameter bimetal hole saw and a bit extension to allow you to reach the solid baffles in the center perforated tube in the RK muffs. Level two involves drilling out and removing the small solid baffle that can be seen and accessed from the rear of the muffs. This can be done with the muffs on the bike if you choose. You will need an extendable magnet or a piece of wire to fish out the piece of metal if you don�t remove the muffs. I like to do it with the mufflers off and standing upright so most of the drillings fall through to the outside. If they remain inside in the bottom of the muff, they will likely begin to rust and cause problems. When you get this baffle removed, you are done with level two. Mount the muffs and go riding.

TIP: I had trouble getting my bit extension to stay tight on the hole saw bit shank. I finally degreased everything and used JB Weld to make this a permanent connection. You won�t use this very often, but it will now work very well!! Remember that aftermarket slip-ons cost from three to five hundred dollars!! You will spend less than a hundred on this project!

You want more noise? Here is level 3: Using the 1 1/8� bimetal hole saw, remove the small solid baffle from the front of the center perforated tube, accessing it from the entrance of the muffler. You have to remove the muffs for this job. Shake out the cuttings well, mount up the muffs, and go riding. That�s level three.

--------------------------------------------------------

HTH!