IGNORED

Windshield polishes & rain beading

Gained

Material saved for my info from earlier discussions: EDB

RSV -Windshield an Rain

Posted by: landpig

On: 08-01-2006 12:33 PM

Hi everyone, just got back from the Mountain Fest Motorcycle rally in WV.

Had a Great time an met some fellow Royalstar Riders down there. I'll try an post some pix's when I get them uploaded.

Well reason for the question is me an the navigator got caught in a cloud burst twice. No problem on rain beadin but it became unviewable driving plus the inside windshield an mirrors fogged up. I literally had to pullover on the line ( cause those coal roads ain't got no shoulders). WV cage drivers are very patient an good drivers they ain't in a hurry an gave us respectable distance.

Any advice on product applications that won't degrade the windshield or options is appreciated.

p.s. it was a little nerve racking an scary not being able to see at all !

Thx in Advance:Bunny:

Posted by: Tom

On: 08-01-2006 01:49 PM

I would try just a little on the shield...I used it and did as the instructions said and I nearly messed up my windshield.It would not come off till I got a high speed buffer and worked on it for 3 hours. I am not saying That some may not have had that happen but it even says not to use it on plastic type windshields on the instructions. Again NOT saying some have had luck with it,just what happened to me and others on this site. Tom

Posted by: rdttex

On: 08-01-2006 01:59 PM

I also carry rain x with me. when I see a possible rain cloud ahead I pull over an wipe a small amount on both sides. I've been doing that for years without any problems. the only other option is to buy a shorter shield.

unfortunately in Texas I haven't had to use rain x in several months. maybe some day it will rain.

Posted by: Carbon_One

On: 08-01-2006 03:20 PM

Maybe the guys using the Rain-X have the watercraft formula. I know I won't use it on my bike thou. I use the Honda Plexis Glass cleaner and it does make the water nead up & flow off.

Larry

Posted by: kckx270

On: 08-01-2006 03:29 PM

Here in Florida we get alot of thunderstorms in the afternoons. A couple of things that help that I've found. Plexus plastic polish does ok. Plain lemon scented Pledge belive it or not helps too. Neither item will totally elimenate that particular concern, but does help. I also use Mothers chrome polish on the glass portion of my mirrors. Haven't had a problem with them fogging.

Posted by: kwtrains

On: 08-01-2006 03:30 PM

hello

i have a clear veiw windshield just got it a couple of weeks ago thay recomend using rain x i have not tryed it yet but i will

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Posted by: Ace

On: 08-01-2006 04:55 PM

Whenever I clean my windshield, I put a coat of Meguires carnuba wax on the windshield, both sides. Have been doing this on my last 2 bikes and have never had a problem seeing through the windshield in the rain. It makes cleaning the windshield a whole lot easier as well.

NO NO Not for Me

Posted by: Pilot

On: 08-01-2006 05:17 PM

No rainX for me. I have heard to many horror stories about using that. I use plain ol turtle wax, but have found that pledge all surface spray wax works just as well and it makes your ride smell good. You can pour some into a small plastic spray bottle and take it with you, it works great for me.:hurts:

Posted by: Brad T

On: 08-01-2006 07:37 PM

I too had this problem and was wiping it with the back of hand just so that I could see.

Problem was that I noticed I scratched the inside of the windshield Must have been my ring.

It is not bad but if the light hits it right there is many little scratches, SO BE CAREFUL.

Brad

Posted by: Denden

On: 08-02-2006 08:07 AM

I've got a Clearview windshield, and because of the way it's formed or slanted, it sheds water a lot better than the stock one. I use Plexus, and the water just beads up and blows away. I have no problem looking thru the windshield in the rain.

Posted by: Black Ice

On: 08-02-2006 08:36 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Ya beat me to it. I use plexus too. The rake of the Clear View seems to allow the water to run off much better than the stock shield.

Cheers, Gary B

RSV-Windshield an Rain

Posted by: ediddy

On: 08-02-2006 08:55 AM

I have the clearview windshield and I got caught in a downpour last sunday. Going 50mph I didn't have any trouble seeing through the shield. I clean my shield with Honda proline spray polish. I have the xtra large shield with the vent. I am completely behind the windshield.

Posted by: kjcole

On: 08-02-2006 09:04 AM

The Yamaha windshield is a coated Lexan, and the coating is not compatible with the standard formula Rain-X made for glass. You will damage the shield. The Clearview is not coated and so Rain-X will work. I'm not familiar with the marine variety. I use spray Pledge on mine to clean it, but it doesn't make a huge difference in the rain.

Kelly

Posted by: ryder

On: 08-02-2006 05:52 PM

the replacement windshield on my bike is a slipstream, I don't think it's coated with any thing.

Posted by: Denden

On: 08-02-2006 09:16 PM

I've got the Clearview that is 16 inches high, and 2 1/2 inches wider on each side, without the vent. But mine is last year's style, before they re-designed it with more slant. Mine is good, but the new ones are even better, and look better.

J&P Cycles also carries the same windshield as the JC Whitney windshield. If you want the shorter one, check with them. part no.ZZ76250 clear or ZZ76251 tinted

"http://www.jpcycles.com"

I use Honda spray cleaner & polish. Its an aerosol. Best stuff I've ever used. Cleans road grime, chain muck from rims, & polishes everything on your bike. Works on clear plastic too. I've used it on full face helmets to help water bead, and on the screens of all my previous bikes.

Power House from Dollar Tree works as well as anything for the windshield and is great for touching up the bike.

Plexus works very well for the rain.

I use Turtle Wax Express Shine on my entire bike, as well as my clear front windshield. I know its not Rain-X, but it does extremely well on making it very easy to remove bugs even when they have been on for quite some time...just wipes off with a soft towel or kleenex, etc. without leaving any smudges. It also beads the water off the front windshield as well. You can get it at any Wal-Mart, Meijers, Autozone, Auto Barn or any place simular. It comes in a 16oz bottle and runs anywhere from $4.00 to $6.00 a bottle. It's like a water/wax mix solution and is easily applied without having to wait for it to dry before you buff it out. As I said, I've been using this religiously on my bike and windshield and i like it alot. One bottle last a long time.

a lot of folks use Lemon Pledge. It is a lot cheaper and does a decent job.

LIQUID-GLASS

• 11 months later...
Cant' believe that I'm the first one to say that I use lemon pledge.

It works though.

Steve

That's all I've used for cleaning my w/s for several years. I also use it for polishing the plastic around the dash, etc. As for rain repelling...can't say... hardly ever ride in the rain LOL

I'll add one thing to this. I bought the venture last summer and the windshield was so bad, that it was very difficult to see through. Soooooooo, I put blue painters tape on the top several inches and cut 2" off with my jig saw. filed it smooth and it was great, I could see over the top perfectly.

Now the cool part:

When I removed the painters tape, I had a perfectly clear windshield. so, I took it off and put tape all over both sides, removing the clearcoat and have been using it like that ever since. I clean the bugs off after a ride with some sort of spray cleaner and apply lemon pledge. It seems just fine.

Now comes my dilema, I am going to put on a new stock Yamaha windshield that I bought last winter very soon for a 3000 mile trip out west.

I have no idea what this method will do to a clear coated stock windshield.

Any thoughts anyone?

Steve

I use RejeX

http://www.corrosionx.com/gifs/Rejex.jpg

Click on the bottle above to get the manufacturer's website.

I buy it at SkyGeek for $15 per 16 oz bottle.

This stuff was originally designed for military helicopter windshields.

It also works GREAT as a car wax.......

So one product really does it all!!!

I have used it for years with great results!!!!!!!! Cars, bikes, etc. All the painted surfaces, Glass and plastics get a coat!!!!!

Goes on easy and rubs off EASY!!!

However as per the label directions, it is best to keep the vehicle out of the rain for 12 hours after application for longest lasting results!

• 2 weeks later...