IGNORED

Rubbing Sound Heard on Rt. Rear

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

When starting out slow or just rolling forward, I can hear what sounds like the slight sound of metal rubbing against metal. And as I get faster the sound gets faster. It's not real loud, but loud enough to know it's there. My brakes are good and I see nothing rubbing. And I can only hear it in my rt. ear coming from the rt side. Thanks.:confused24:

Might be you need some of that brake pad adheisive stuff, that keeps the pads

stuk to the caliper piston.

That happened on front wheel of my 89, Pads about half worn down, and one came loose from the piston. Started makeing a noise.

It also could be the fingers inside of the rear wheel making this noise. All that has to be done is take the wheel off take off one big snap ring and remove the fingers . Give them a good cleaning and use some 2000 git sand paper on them just to clean them up real good then put some grease on them and reinstall everything. If it was that making the noise it should be gone after you do this . I just did mine on my 06 Venture today when I changed the tire. This should be done at every tire change and it should not come back if you do it at every tire change.

Later

Bikenut:080402gudl_prv:

It also could be the fingers inside of the rear wheel making this noise. All that has to be done is take the wheel off take off one big snap ring and remove the fingers . Give them a good cleaning and use some 2000 git sand paper on them just to clean them up real good then put some grease on them and reinstall everything. If it was that making the noise it should be gone after you do this .

I would be willing to bet bikenut is right on the money here.

To add a little more to what he said, after you remove the snap ring and pull the hub apart, as he said clean the pins real good.

I myself use a very soft round wire brush in my cordless drill and clean up the "inside" of the rubber bushings that the pins silde into also..then I use a "Q"-Tip and apply some grease to the inside of the rubber bushings and to the cleaned pins.

The soft wire brush can be found at Wllay world in the gunrack area and under gun cleaning supplies..

I also apply a little grease the the brish bristles so it slides easier in the rubber bushings

Rust builds up on the bushings as well as it does on the steel pins..

I too have an 05 RSV and I have done this about 5 times already on my bike since I purchased it new..

"I would be willing to bet bikenut is right on the money here."

Hey Eck, you or Bikenut have any documentation on this proceedure? I have my rear wheel off now waiting for a new tire. Now would be the time to do this...

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I think your problem is your brake pads. If as you say the sound is coming from the right side rear I would be willing to bet your rear pads are worn to the metal or you might have a caliper that is not releasing and therefor the pad is still rubbing the rotor.

As for the splines/fingers needing greasing, well that may be, but I have never heard them make a rubbing sound. Clicking yes but rubbing never. Also any sound they make will be heard predominately on the left side of the bike. BTW a 20 Gage shotgun bore brush will clean them out pretty good too.

Easy enough to check your brake pads.

• 2 months later...
:confused07: Right now, after just over 20K miles, I started hearing same thing. Brakes work fine, no squeal, no grabbing, plenty pad left - works fine. But I get this rubbing sound at 30-50mph. Especially noticable when passing wall/concrete barrier or parked cars. Quiets when I hit brake. Brought bike to Yamaha dealership and had to pay for them to check it out. Two different mechs rode it and they say it is just the noise of the pads rubbing the rotor, which Yamah notified them about berated [sic] pads. Is there something I could spray to the pad or brake mechanism? Maybe the barke is not retracting?

:confused07: Right now, after just over 20K miles, I started hearing same thing. Brakes work fine, no squeal, no grabbing, plenty pad left - works fine. But I get this rubbing sound at 30-50mph. Especially noticable when passing wall/concrete barrier or parked cars. Quiets when I hit brake. Brought bike to Yamaha dealership and had to pay for them to check it out. Two different mechs rode it and they say it is just the noise of the pads rubbing the rotor, which Yamah notified them about berated [sic] pads. Is there something I could spray to the pad or brake mechanism? Maybe the barke is not retracting?

YOU FOUND A YAMAHA MECHANIC THAT COULD HEAR:confused::stirthepot:-----Oh!!!-----you paid them--I guess that makes a difference. ---Buzz

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I took my bike to an out-of-town Yamaha dealer that has always been good to me. When I came back for the bike, it was definately the brakes. You were right. They changed the back brakes, and no more sound. Quiet as a mouse. I must admit I am one that uses the rear brakes A LOT. The mechanic advised to start using the front brakes a lot more than I use them. It's a hard habit (using the rear brakes) for me to break.

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I think your problem is your brake pads. If as you say the sound is coming from the right side rear I would be willing to bet your rear pads are worn to the metal or you might have a caliper that is not releasing and therefor the pad is still rubbing the rotor.

As for the splines/fingers needing greasing, well that may be, but I have never heard them make a rubbing sound. Clicking yes but rubbing never. Also any sound they make will be heard predominately on the left side of the bike. BTW a 20 Gage shotgun bore brush will clean them out pretty good too.

Easy enough to check your brake pads.