IGNORED

Spearfish Trip/advice

Iowawegian

The hubby and I are taking our 3 sons out to Spearfish/Deadwood for a trip in a couple of weeks!! We don't want to travel interstate (I-90) so we are looking at Hwy 44 south of I-90 . We've never been out there before. Just wondering...has anyone ridden this road in the last year? Is it a decent one (potholes, etc)?

Also, have gotten a lot of info off the website as far as where to ride, (Needles, Spearfish Canyon, Custer Park) but anyone have any funky off the beaten path roads or places we should stop. We'll be out there a week and the boy's can't wait. Thanks!

My wife is from Platte, SD, so we travel 44 every now and then. It's good from I-90 to as far as Winner. After that I haven't been on it for a while, but I don't think you'll have any problems there. 18 is a good road from Winner to Hot Springs, and then you can head toward Deadwood on 385 thru the Hills, missing Rapid City altogether. It will probably take longer though. Good luck!!

Hi,

Used to live in SD right next to 44 in White River. Used to take it back home thru to Iowa. It is good thru Parker, Parkston and Platte to Winner and even beyond thru Mission SD. Don't look for much in the way of services along this road. If you like the open plains, it will be scenic in its own way.From White River on thru Wanblee it is pretty desolate, but again very scenic in a stark way. From Mission to Wanblee you are running thru the Rosebud and Pine Ridge Indian Reservations...If you head from there thru the Badlands, you gotta stop at Wooden Knife Indian Taco Stand in the Interior/ Scenic area. Best Indian Tacos anywhere.. 44 runs right into the south side of Rapid City. It will take longer, but you can cruise along pretty good.

I've spent a lot of time in the Black Hills. If you go take the Custer Wildlife Loop ( a great time ) be sure to plan to go early to late evening. Otherwise all you will see are the tons of Pronghorns. Late in the day, the chances of Buffalo, wild burros and elk are much greater...

Don't miss Sylvan Lake.. The Gem of the Black Hills

Watch the late evening drives. Deer everywhere along the roads

Have a great trip.. You'll love it..A week is barely enough to cover the Hills.

Clay