IGNORED

Thought I fixed it-Guess Not!

Put on new front brake pads and a new front tire yesterday. Thought I was done but there is a wobble now in the front end that got pretty scary the faster I went.

Is it possible that the wheel is not in straight? Defective tire? There was no wobble with the old tire and brakes.

Anybody have this same problem or ideas? How do I figure out what it is?

:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Put on new front brake pads and a new front tire yesterday. Thought I was done but there is a wobble now in the front end that got pretty scary the faster I went.

Is it possible that the wheel is not in straight? Defective tire? There was no wobble with the old tire and brakes.

Is the tire bead fully seated on the rim?? Sometimes the tire has a molded line, a short distance away from the edge of the rim. Look to see, if this line is sitting at the same position all the way around (on both sides of the tire) & not dipping down towards the rim. Anther thing that should be checked, is the mounting torque for the axle shaft & brake calipers.

:080402gudl_prv:

is it possible that the axle bolt is too tight? the wheel doesn't really spin freely when it's off the ground. anybody know what the torque specs are for the axle bolt?

72 Ft Lbs for the front axle & 32 Ft Lbs for the caliper mounts.

did you have the bearings checked? If the wheel is not turning freely, the bearings may be loose and causing the wobble. Have someone hold the handlebars while the bike is in the air and try to move the front wheel side to side.

it could possibly be a steering head bearing......

What tire did you buy, Todd?

I can't use the Avon Venom on my 86 because it causes wobble at about 70mph.

And that's a drag, because I use that tire on my Intruder and really love it.

On the Venture, I ride Dunlop EIII on the rear and D404 on the front.

Did you put about 50 to 60 Lb. of Air into the new tire, to make sure Its properly Seated ? then bleed off all air, and check the Mark, around both sided of the bead to make sure its properly seated. Somtimes I have to actually Bounce the tire on cement, and re air it a few times to get a proper Seat on the Rim.

With, brake calipers Removed, so no drag, does the Wheel Spin Freely ??

You may need a new set of Wheel Bearings !! How many miles are on the Wheel bearings, have they ever been Replaced, or Lubricated.

When you had the wheel Off, did you Rotate the Inner Bearing Race's, to feel for any sign of Drag, or Resistance Spots ??

If over 50K on this bike, I would reccomend New Wheel Bearings.

Did you put bike on Center Stand, and do the Handle Bar, Drop to the Full Rt. and Full Lft. Test. The bars should " Fall to full stop, with some Resistance, But Not just " Flop " to the Stops.

You may need to add 5 to 10 degrees of CW Rotation to the Steering Head Main Nut.