IGNORED

SD No Longer a Prohibition State.

CaseyJ955

I know, no politics but I hope this is allowable.  Voters in SD have forsaken prohibition, finally

I figured with the recent crackdown (rightly so) on opioids that SD voters would soon see the value in allowing medicinal it as an option.  It was a still a surprise, but most surprising is that South Dakota just became the first state in which voters approved medicinal and recreational at the very same time, much to our governors chagrin.  She would not even budge on industrial hemp until it became known that voters had successfully added cannabis measures on Nov 2020.  The voters have now wisely helped bring SD out of the shadows of prohibition against very adamant leadership.

My new goal is to become the very first South Dakotan to make the first legal medicinal cannabis sale.  Over the time I've been a nurse I've seen so many countless cases in which cannabis would be an exceedingly appropriate choice, or should have been submitted for consideration by the patient.  My hands are no longer tied.

Now that I've gotten past my celebratory rant, what I'm asking here is if anyone else here is involved in the business end of cannabis in their locality. I'm already talking others about where to start and may even have an investor lined up. I'm unsure if I'll find a dispensary that is willing and able to take down the Bob Marley posters and turn off the blacklights (we have a couple CBD only dispensaries already) and run a professional medical-grade dispensary with the actual intent on helping folks that are actually suffering.  I'm not interested in the recreational end of things, just medical. I've been too a couple medical dispensaries and I think I can do better than what I've seen so far.  I'm sure my nursing license will evaporate once I get started with this, but I'm willing to chance that to do the right thing here and make sure there is a professional venue in which real patients can come for consultation and purchasing.

If anyone has any experience here, or in any business part of the cannabis industry, please PM or post. I am indeed looking for guidance.

The excitement is palpable all over the place now.

No info on your exact subject but a small comment. My son "could" probably be one of those that would benefit from its medical use and can qualify for a card here in Fla. But with his business he would like to purchase a firearm and obtain a conceal permit. Both of which if he has a medical card he can not do once he gets the card. He could get the firearma nd permit then get the card. But he is worried they could revoke it once he gets the card.

If I were in his shoes I would consider not getting a card at all. I dont plan to, I've heard this before of other states, and the laws here have not even been written yet.  I think getting a medicinal card is a very long ways to go to try a pinch of a different strain or two to see if it seems like it may be an appropriate treatment for him.  For medicinal purposes, a little goes a pretty long ways, generally. 

One could purchase recreational and use it medicinally.  General consensus is that medicinal tends to be slightly better, but a quality recreational strain is *plenty* potent for about any purpose. Medicinal doses are usually smaller than a recreational "hit", this varies though. From what I've gathered so far, recreational dosages can be counterproductive if trying to treat a medical ailment.  There may be a therapeutic window, so starting light is highly advisable for someone that is cannabis naive, or trying to honestly assess whether or not it will have a therapeutic effect.  An easy way to dose light is to use edibles. Gummy bears and the like are available in half and full dose, and can be cut down from there into quarters or eights, to start nice and slow.  There is no actual overdosing on cannabis, but it is possible, even easy with a potent strain, to get uncomfortably high.  Used correctly it may (YMMV, for sure) be cheaper, more effective and with less side effects than traditional pharmaceutical interventions. Instead of recommending medical cannabis to anyone, I recommend folks look into medical cannabis. Like any other medication it's a good idea to research any contraindication with existing meds or diagnoses. One thing I can say with no doubt in my mind is that while it is not the magic bullet it sometimes gets coined as, it does have impressive and diverse medicinal value.  We need more science a research, but the obvious opposition has made that difficult, although we are moving in the right direction.

The biggest problem in the cannabis business (medical or recreational) is it's an all cash business.  Banks are regulated by the federal government and cannabis is still listed as a schedule 1 drug.  Not that I agree, but that's the way it currently works.  Banks won't touch a business that deals with it.

Be careful, very careful.

RR