IGNORED

Air compressor

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

What kind of air compressor do you carry with you on your bike? I saw one in the store made by Slime - about $35, and it can attach to the lead from the battery for the battery tender.

Any one have experience with this?

That's what I use. It doesn't take up much space. Don't run it with the cigarette lighter attachment, it blows the fuse. Run it off the battery. Be careful it gets hot if you run it too long.

It doesn't blow the fuse if you remove the 5 amp and replace it with a 10 amp!!! :whistling:

I just got that very same compressor this week. Rated at 300psi and the little rascal really does a neat job.....I inflated a 15inch car tire with it yesterday and was amazed at how good it works.

The Manufacturer warns ya not to run the unit more than 8 minutes or it will overheat......It's not going to take nowhere near that time to bang a bike tire up to 45psi I assure you!

BTW, this is the one I carry. Bought it at VatoZone here in Amarillo.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412RV13odQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I almost bought this one, but once you put it in the pouch with the cables and hose, it was just as big as the above one.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/ATV-Tires/images/slime-12-volt-ATV-Tire-Compressor.jpg

I almost bought it anyways just for the protective case, but I decided on the above because of the built in LED light and built in gauge which is accurate. Less crap I need to carry on the bike. I figgered that the next time I get a flat, it will be in the middle of nowhere, at night, and the light would be rather beneficial.

I bought mine for right about $10 at wal mart. I've filled the rear tire on mine from completely flat 3 times, powered off my first gen cigarette lighter. It runs like mad and is warm when it's done, but it'll fit in the palm of my hand and takes up almost no space. FWIW

I bought mine for right about $10 at wal mart. I've filled the rear tire on mine from completely flat 3 times, powered off my first gen cigarette lighter. It runs like mad and is warm when it's done, but it'll fit in the palm of my hand and takes up almost no space. FWIW

Can you provide a Picture or some information about the unit that you are using.

Guest 1154

Has Anyone Got Or Used The 'cycle Pump' Air Compressor?

They Run At $100 Each.not Cheap But "appear" To Be A Solid Unit.

Has Anyone Got Or Used The 'cycle Pump' Air Compressor?

They Run At $100 Each.not Cheap But "appear" To Be A Solid Unit.

I bought the cycle pump and tire plug kit a few years ago. So far I have only had to use it to top up the tire pressure while on the road. The pump is great and built to be durable, I haven't used the plug kit except to practice on an old tire but it also is easy to use. Like you said not cheap but I expect not to have to replace it and be there when needed.

It doesn't blow the fuse if you remove the 5 amp and replace it with a 10 amp!!! :whistling:

I'll say this with all the humility and respect I can muster - that is one of the least intelligent things you can do. I do not mean to insult any member, but I realize not everyone might understand why a particular circuit has the size of fuse that it does. The fuse size in a circuit is intended to protect the WIRE, not the load, so it is selected based on how much current the existing wire can safely handle without melting. Just increasing the fuse size and running a load greater than what the circuit was originally sized is the fastest and easiest way to start a fire and burn up you bike, short of just throwing a match in the gas tank. This is NOT something you should consider.

On the subject of which compressor to use, check out my posts on the second page of this thread for details and pictures of one run from the engine compression:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13247&highlight=compressor&page=2

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

I bought a little bitty 250 pound 12 volt compressor from ACE hardware for $5. Then I took the cigarette lighter plug off of it and put battery clamps on it. Unfortuantely I've used it several times.

No worries about blowing fuses. Thing is small, cheap and does the job.

So if you have a 12V pump and you remove the cig plug and just put clips on it do you need to put a fuse in one of the lines ?

Keith

You could. You don't have to since it's only hooked up when you use it. But if you're airing up a tire and you walk away for a minute and the compressor locks up, it could cause a problem. If I ran one with clamps off the battery, I would not run a fuse.