IGNORED

Steering Head Bearings

Freebird

OK folks, I have been meaning to post this for a while but just hadn't gotten around to it. There is a lot of talk here about the tightening/adjusting of the steering head bearings. There is a short cut method posted in the tech library on how to tighten them without tearing the entire front end of the RSV apart. This method works fine for a short term fix.

I want to say though that the easy method is NOT the preferred method. At least, not for the first time you do it. The fact is, just as Yamaha is not very good at adequately greasing the rear splines and drive shafts on these bikes, they are just as bad at greasing the steering head bearings. You can tighten them to help with any looseness but the fact is, they need to be torn down and repacked. It is not a quick job and in fact, I would expect to spend about 6 hours doing it.

It is a lot of work but sooner or later, you are going to have to do it. If you don't do it now, you will do it later when you have to replace the bearings. Bob Dakin recently had this conversation with a local Yamaha service tech. Bob mentioned that he needed to tear his down and grease the bearings. I think Bob has 30 something thousand on his RSV. The tech responded that he shouldn't even bother because most of these bikes need new steering head bearings at about 50,000 miles anyway. Well my response to that is that if they need new bearings at around 50,000 miles it's because they are properly greased from the factory.

So, use the short cut method if you must. I've done it to. But keep in mind that it is NOT the long term solution. If you do it, you will likely have to do it again. They will loosen up again because the bearings are wearing due to inadequate grease. Once done and done properly, they will last a LONG time and it's not something you will have to worry about again for several years.

Don is correct when he says the bearings have little grease from the factory. I pulled the trees out of my bike when I was converting it to the trike so they could be raked by Steer-Rite.

Anyhow seeing as how little grease there was on the bearings I'm supprised that they'll even last 50k and I can see now why some folks have had to keep re-adjusting the bearings.

Larry

Don,

I also have to agree. A person should do that kind of first thing when buying a bike be new or used. Then you should not have to worry about it for some time.

But the fact is, it's a pain in the you know what with the RSV's and most people don't do anything until they need major repair.

With all that being said, I use the short cut method also AND I leave mine looser than most people and that's probably even harder on the bearings.

Jerry