IGNORED

It broke

kenblount

The front master cylinder controls the right side front caliper and is separate from the brake pedal which when operated controls the left front caliper and the rear caliper. I would not recommend riding it with only the front brake.

Ken:

You only have one brake on the front wheel working. The left one is controlled by the rear brake pedal as it is linked to the rear brake. I wouldn't ride with only one brake rotor working. But that's your decision.

As far as breaking the reservoir.....been there, done that. The reservoir is made out of a very soft pot metal and due to age is seems to lose it's structural strength. So when you put a wrench on the fill nut and twist, the whole fill neck snaps off. Check on e-bay for a used one.

After you replace it, use TWO wrenches to open the reservoir. Place one wrench just below the fill nut, on the neck area of the reservoir, and apply a counter force on the body of the reservoir and then twist off the fill nut. In effect you are counterbalancing the torque being put on the body of the reservoir and will prevent the reservoir from breaking. This works for me.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Yep.

I broke the fill plug off my 1983 rear reservoir.

Jim has the correct method. Use a Crescent wrench on the reservoir body at the fill plug boss. Of course, it is too late for you now.

screen shot of broken rear reservoir 1.jpg

I tried epoxying the broken part back to the reservoir body, but it didn't hold. Brake fluid is potent stuff.

Your best bet is to go on eBay and find another reservoir. Any year of First Generation Venture will work for the RESERVOIR. There is one from a 1984 on eBay that includes the entire rear brake system (reservoir, master cylinder, brake lines and caliper. That caliper and master cylinder listed will only work on 1983-1985 XVZ12, but the reservoir and hoses will work on an year.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ1200-OEM-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Master-Cylinder-Set-2/283731389663?hash=item420fb56cdf:g:e80AAOSw8V9eD8XH

I have seen some folks used the plastic cylindrical rear reservoir from the RSV. It would work, but I have concerns about the proximity of the plastic reservoir to the HOT exhaust on the First Gen.

Edited by Prairiehammer

Yep.

I broke the fill plug off my 1983 rear reservoir.

Jim has the correct method. Use a Crescent wrench on the reservoir body at the fill plug boss. Of course, it is too late for you now.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118447

I tried epoxying the broken part back to the reservoir body, but it didn't hold. Brake fluid is potent stuff.

Your best bet is to go on eBay and find another reservoir. Any year of First Generation Venture will work for the RESERVOIR. There is one from a 1984 on eBay that includes the entire rear brake system (reservoir, master cylinder, brake lines and caliper. That caliper and master cylinder listed will only work on 1983-1985 XVZ12, but the reservoir and hoses will work on an year.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ1200-OEM-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Master-Cylinder-Set-2/2 83731389663?hash=item420fb56cdf:g:e80AAOSw8V9eD8XH

I have seen some folks used the plastic cylindrical rear reservoir from the RSV. It would work, but I have concerns about the proximity of the plastic reservoir to the HOT exhaust on the First Gen.

I had one like that that someone had repaired and it fell apart out in the middle of nowhere.. I replaced it with a cheapy aftermarket (was under 10 bucks at a dirt bike repair shop out in Moab Utah) res with the intent of replacing it was an OEM off one of my parts bikes when I got home but ended up using it for a couple hundred thousand miles and it was on that tired old scoot when it went to the bone yard.... Was no float switch in the cheap one but it was wayyy easier to install than OEM and worked fine..

Did you bleed the front brake? It is linked with the rear brake and the usual cause of the pedal not returning is air in the system. The front brake line has a banjo near the front fork neck that can be cracked to remove the air from the front line. It usually takes more than one time to bleed the brakes. There is a write up in the tech section about the bleeding of the brakes, I think. If not do a search on the forum.