IGNORED

Clear Eyewear

Iowawegian

I'm wondering if anyone could help. New member as of last week and not really computer savy. I need to buy a pair of clear glasses for riding home later than we should. We always seem to ride too late and my eyesight isn't the best, when it's dusk. I would like a pair that the wind can't get through the sides. Appreciate any input, otherwise I'm going to have to start riding with the hubby and I'd just as soon keep driving my own bike. Thanks!

I'm wondering if anyone could help. New member as of last week and not really computer savy. I need to buy a pair of clear glasses for riding home later than we should. We always seem to ride too late and my eyesight isn't the best, when it's dusk. I would like a pair that the wind can't get through the sides. Appreciate any input, otherwise I'm going to have to start riding with the hubby and I'd just as soon keep driving my own bike. Thanks!

Most Dealers sell them that would work. My Dealer has CURVES clear with foarm around the egdes for 19.95. I use some I got at a rally with more of a rubber around the egdes. I have also used clear or yellow saftey glasses that wrap around. Just depends on how sensitive to wind in the eyes you are.

I went to my eyewear dealer and had them put transitions lenses in the frame I wanted. now I have them for whatever time of day I want, mine get very dark in bright sunlight (you cant see my eyes) and clear at night. They cost more this way, but I am more inclined to look after them and not lose them this way as it becomes a habit to wear everytime.

Brian

I have goggles that have 3 different lenses to change to. They have clear, yellow and smoke. Just pop them in and out for whenever the light changes. I wear contacts and that keeps all of the dust and crap out of them. It also contains my contacts when one decides to pop out on me.

I've gone to the sports store and bought clear safety glasses. They work great and they are cheap. Not as stylish but who'll see them in the dark.

Other good choices ( in terms of safety) are "construction " glasses you can find at places like Home Depot. Or, (what I use)...shooting glasses (with a yellow lense) which I purchased for about $15.00 from Gander Mountain. While not stylish, they are built with eye safety in mind.

Guest tx2sturgis
I went to my eyewear dealer and had them put transitions lenses in the frame I wanted. now I have them for whatever time of day I want, mine get very dark in bright sunlight (you cant see my eyes) and clear at night. They cost more this way, but I am more inclined to look after them and not lose them this way as it becomes a habit to wear everytime.

Brian

Hey Brian...Brian here...how did that happen?

Hey just be aware that those transitions have a short life expectancy...about a year of regular use...more if you only use them occasionally.

• 1 month later...

Greetings...

Many hardware stores used to carry NEBO safety glasses. They were the single lense wrap around style. came in a variety of colors including clear. Very well made, no distortion, bullet proof and came with a long neck strap. I know they are bullet proof - I ruined 3 pairs using them as shooting glasses! Or rather traded three pairs saving my eyes from exploding cartridge cases.

Totally UV A and B coated Polycarbonate lenses - tough and durable. Wipe clean with any rag without scratching.

They were $9.95. All the local stores stopped carrying them about 10 years ago, but occasionally I'll still see one up on a dusty back shelf.

I still have a pair of dark ones for day driving, nearly 15 years old! I abuse them on a daily basis. Clean them using the inside of my dirty sweaty shirt! Still as clear as the day I bought them.

I used to have a clear pair - but they got lost. So I picked up some $5 safety glasses in an auto parts store for working under the truck - stored in a Crown Royal bag - They're perfect for night driving...

But when you are on the road - check in at the hardware store in the little podunk hay seed towns - They might still have a collection of Nebo's at a heavy discount collecting dust.

Why anyone would pay $200 for a pair of sunglasses is beyond my understanding. More money than sense I guess. I found a pair of Oakleys just sitting in the road a couple of months ago - then found the little peach bag for them a couple of days and a couple of miles later. I have to admit, they do fit well - almost like weightless goggles, and are nice and clear. They certainly aren't worth whatever whomever paid for them, maybe he should have invested in a $5 neck strap - cheap insurance!

I have noticed that they are so light that the wind tends to move them around my face and some of the winds we get around here have moved them down to the tip of my nose - expensive junk. I figure that's how the last owner lost them! Wind blew them right off the damn fools head. I only wear them under my 3/4 helmet wired for intercom now...

My Nebo's aren't comfortable in that helmet - their only downside. They are big and a little nose heavy and have thick earpieces. And you have to take off the neck strap to put them on under a helmet.

I have wondered if the Oakleys would stop a determined bumble-bullet at 200 combined MPH? I know the face shield on a previous full face helmet didn't and that nearly tore my head off - She bullseyed me dead center between the eyes - My neck was sore for a week! Nearly knocked me off the bike! Funny thing was - I saw her coming from about a 1/4 mile away! She changed direction 90' just to hit me!

I KNOW my Nebo's will - I was wearing them too! If I hadn't - I'd probably have been very unhappy about it - or dead...

:Avatars_Gee_George:

For wind protection, wraparound style safety glasses work well. I usually go for the larger lenses, usually the one piece lens.

The goggle style with rubber or foam strips help cut down on the wind with a smaller profile. They come with hard temples or straps, or both. Many come with interchangeable lenses; clear and dark are the usual choices, but there are others.

Look in a sporting goods store for shooting glasses. Lots of clear, amber and other shades available that provide good wind protection. They're usually rated for ballistic protection.

For ballistic protection, look for the "ballistic" notation on the glasses. It's a higher grade of protection; will stop faster moving objects than will safety glasses, but not bullets. They're required wear for soldiers in a combat zone; testing is to a higher standard than safety glasses. So your Oakleys really are "bumble bee" resistant- unless he's flying faster than the speed of sound. Currently wearing a pair of Wiley-X 10's, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

I ended up finding the perfect ones. Once again, Fleet Farm. They're junior shooting saftey glasses in the archery dept. $7.00. I wear contacts too, and no wind comes through on the side. They are clear like I wanted and they fit great if I'm wearing my helmet or my cap. Best $7.00 I've ever spent.

Found safety type glasses in business called Fastenal. They sell construction and industrial supplies. They had the Harley name on them. They fit fairly well with the helmet on... not too heavy on the bridge of the nose. They were under $10 when I purchased them over a year ago. Plan on getting another set.

Another plus... no on can read the Harley name at night!