IGNORED

Iginition noise through audio system

My audio system has started acting up a bit. I've been getting some ignition noise through my headset on acceleration occaisionally and it seemed to be related to the mic input to my Zumo 550. When it happened I could wiggle the mike connectioin and it would change or go away. Today it began making the noise again and I unplugged the mic and the noise volume was reduced. I thought it was coming through the intercom circuit so I turned it off also and still had the noise. I'm not sure is this is related or not but I have been having a very infrequent problem with the audio control panel going dead in that the 3 buttons on the bottom will just not function for a period, generally less than 15 minutes. This has happened about 4 times in the last couple of months. The dealer has ordered a new control panel.

It seems I read a post recently where someone had some warranty work done on their bike and one of the things done was wrapping the wiring with "RF tape". I've been searching for that post and haven't been able to locate it. Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin calling for that? I'll be talking with the dealer about it soon.

DT

NOt to long ago I had the "noise in the headset" problem. I couldn't figure it out and nothing seemed to help. You could tell it was in the engine cause when the engine was revved up the noise would follow suit. However I hit the starter one day and everything went black. Then hit it again and my bike started right up. I checked the battery connections and found that the ground was a little loose. I tightened it up and to my surprise the noise in the headset went away. I never thought that would have been the cause. I've had no problems since and my 99 RSV has run great ever since, with nothing but good tunes coming out of the radio/mp3.

NOt to long ago I had the "noise in the headset" problem. I couldn't figure it out and nothing seemed to help. You could tell it was in the engine cause when the engine was revved up the noise would follow suit. However I hit the starter one day and everything went black. Then hit it again and my bike started right up. I checked the battery connections and found that the ground was a little loose. I tightened it up and to my surprise the noise in the headset went away. I never thought that would have been the cause. I've had no problems since and my 99 RSV has run great ever since, with nothing but good tunes coming out of the radio/mp3.

Thanks Eddie, I'll check the ground this weekend.

DT

I have heard of a loose ground causing that noise also. I have also heard that it started right after someone had gotten the plugs changed and found that the plug wires had been moved a little and that one was close to the wires running along the backbone under the tank.

I'm more inclined to think that it's the ground that's an issue from what you have stated though.

With the bike running and helmets on try moving the wires where they run into the back of the fairing and see if that stops it. If it does split the fairing and pull apart the large connectors and grease with electrical grease. Also it could be the wires running under the tank. It has been discussed before and you should find the thread with a word search.