IGNORED

Dealing with CMS gremlins

Well I've had my 83 standard xvz1200 for going on two years now, 1-1/2 riding seasons here in Southern Indiana. Since I've had her, I've been plagued with CMS issues--always something going off on the display, causing that annoying red LED to fire. In the past, it's intermitten kickstand. After going LED on the headlight, I jumpered the low and high headlight within the CMS, so that took care of that one. I would occasionally get the "Brake Fluid Level" symbol as well, although fluid levels were fine. My "Remaining Fuel indicator" worked about 50% of the time, coming off and on whenever it felt mischievous.

Last Month, I picked up a used low-mile instrument cluster on eBay for cheap. I swapped the CMS as well as the temperature gauge and clock, both of which were not working. I changed the oil last week, but I've begun to receive the engine oil level indicator on occasion....especially during the first few minutes of a fresh ride. I find that that it usually goes away after I'm up at cruising speed. But it sometimes returns in idle traffic and usually starts it's irritating cycle again once I park and restart again.

I have the factory oil filter setup, so no adapter. I used a new K&N oil filter, new spring washer (Previous Owner must had lost the old one, so there wasn't on in there when I took it apart--I read this is common unfortunately). I properly filled with dang-near 4 quarts of 10w-40 motorcycle synthetic oil.

Today, I jumpered the CMS just as I had done the last one. That took care of the high and low headlight indicator. I also removed the RLU and soldered the correct wires as advised by folks here on the forum. I'm reading that the RLU unnecessarily robs some electric--again, I had went to an LED headlamp last Summer anyway. I'm kinda praying that the RLU removal will help matters.

Ok, so now I have a first: My battery fluid level light is coming on about 50% of the time. I did do the 20k ohm resistor fix last year and that eliminated indicator back then. I'll unwrap the resistor it tomorrow and see if perhaps it became compromised.

So I'm very happy that I seem to have gotten most of my old problems solved today. But after my work, I still have these new issues:

1. Engine Oil Level--on 75% of the time when I start engine. 50% of the time, it goes away at cruising speeds. Double-checked my brand new oil levels in site glass window. All good.

2. Battery Fluid Level--Sometimes comes on at starting, sometimes just randomly during cruise. Alltogether, I see it on about 50% of the time.

Does everyone else suffer like this? I've disconnected nearly every #@!% connector I can find on this bike. cleaned as best I could with electronics cleaner.

Do we have ground issues on these 1Gen bikes? Should I be adding a ground somewhere, perhaps? Do these CMS just age and act crazy like this and we should just accept them being nutty at this age? Any particular ideas for the two new items I am now plagued with?

My bike as 30K original miles. Appreciate any enlightenment, fellas.

I think you have covered most of the issues, and I would agree that grounding maybe a big part of the problem. Just want to point you to a ground that you may have overlooked. It's on\under the left side faring, under the radio. Outer and inner faring need to be removed to find it, also there is a ground strap on the fuel tank I think, just can't remember where. Also check the engine ground on right side of motor, near the front bottom, take it apart to clean it.

Happy to report that I've got two days so far with ZERO indicators on my CMS display! I've got my fingers crossed that they won't come back. After writing my last post, I also swapped out my stereo--soldering and sealing up all my connections. I don't know what I may had done to fix this issue other than just the process of messing with and jostling the wiring throughout the bike. Wish I could point out one magic thing that did it.

Anyhow, no low-battery warning, no-low engine oil. For the first time in a looooong time, I'm NOT seeing a red flashing LED in my face. Feels good.

So if you too have CMS gremlins, the solution is very simple fellas: Just put in a different stereo. haha