IGNORED

She's nekid ahgin!

luvmy40

Thanks Bob! My curiosity was killing me!

I was able to isolate the clutch line "pipe" with a 12"x1"x1" length of medium density closed cell neoprene foam. I sliced it through half way lengthwise, wrapped the line with it and tied it all together with wire ties then bolted the front scoop and engine guard back on. Everything pulled together nicely and the line is not making metal to metal contact anywhere.

The clutch system is tight and bled. Working perfectly. I just hope the rebuild fixed the slow leak. I had been needing to top off the reservoir every other week or so but could not find a leak anywhere.

I also got the rear brake line put together(still no pads!) with the front brake proportioning valve removed and the port blocked off.

The brake pads came in yesterday and I got the front end put back together and all the brake lines finished this evening. I'm still looking for some 7/16" ID brake or transmission hose to run from the rear MC to the reservoir. The auto parts stores got nuthin'! Is silicone compatible with DOT3?

I'm also waiting on the new hairpin clips for the caliper slide pins to arrive. The rear caliper had cotter pins in their place. What a PITA that was. Partzilla has them for $5 and change + shipping, EACH! The local Yamaha dealer has them for $8.15 EACH! I ordered a box of 50 in 8-18 SS from McMaster Carr for $6.00 + shipping. They should be here tomorrow.

Diamond Custom Seats called me and let me know my new seat will ship Friday.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

To steel a phrase from cowpuc;

Wowzey Wowzer! The beast gave me a workout yesterday!

I had planned on finishing the brake mods, running a carb sync and getting her all back together yesterday. The term "Pipe dream" comes to mind.

Earl's stainless steel brake/clutch line kit is extremely well made and high quality. The problem was one of hubris on my part. There are, necessarily three swivel banjo fittings that need to be tightened after installation for proper alignment. These are at the manifold splitting the front brake line to the right and left calipers.

I got everything tightened up and started the bleed process. It took a few minutes to get any flow started at all and when it did start, brake fluid poured out from the manifold area. I thought it was coming from the banjo fitting where the two lines are connected in tandem to the right side of the manifold. I tightened it further, still leaking. I pulled it apart and inspected the mating surfaces. Everything looked good so I put it back together, still leaking!

I finally figured out it wasn't the banjo joint but the upper swivel connection on the line coming from the MC at the manifold banjo joint. I thought I had them plenty tight(this is the hubris) even though there was barely enough room to get a stubby combo wrench on the swivel and not much leverage available.

I wound up getting it as tight as possible in place then disconnecting the line from the MC and removing the manifold from the mounting plate. Pulling the whole assembly out from the font let me get at everything to get enough torque on the swivel fittings the seal them up. I had to do this 3 time before I got everything sealed up AND aligned for proper installation.

Many bloody knuckles, a few hundred new curse words invented and a quart of DOT 3 later, the bakes are done and bled. Unfortunately, nothing else got done.

Maybe today?