IGNORED

sonic fork springs

well I ordered the heaviest ones for the bike. I wasn't smart enough to measure preload and such. Anyone have advice. :think: To late to put back on. Just about forgot its a 2001 venture royal xvz1300tf. Buy the way anyone got the paint codes for the greenish bike both colors. :detective:

I put the heavy springs in my 2007 RSV and really like them. I weigh about 215. The heavy springs really help with cornering plus I put Amsoils medium weight shock oil in the forks. This combination makes a huge difference in handling.

If I remember correctly the Sonic springs were much thicker in the coils than stock springs.

I wasn't smart enough to measure preload and such. Anyone have advice. :think: To late to put back on. Just about forgot its a 2001 venture royal xvz1300tf.

No need to measure the preload when disassembling the forks. The sonic springs are shorter and come with washers and a spacer. Unfortunately, they still don't ship a long enough spacer to be cut and used for both forks, but you can simply go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of 1" pvc tube for your second spacer.

Sonic states that you need 1/2" of preload. The fork caps are very close to 3/4" so that means that the spacers including the 2 washers should be 1/4" below the top of the fork tubes when they are fully extended.

Assembly=spring, washer,spacer, washer. All done dry for spacer length measurement.

Just finished installing my second Sonics on my second RSV. You are going to love the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the spacer was still not long enough to make two. No big deal had some plastic gray pipe here. Well by the caliper there 2 thousand thinner. But a lot stronger. Ended up changing the triples bearings lower race had marks on every spot the bearings sat going straight. The bearings are two days out still. 20190216_162724 (768x1024).jpg this is the old stuff. I didn't really need to change lower tube bushings but I was there. Man that oil was nasty. Glad I bought the driver for the forks. As all went super smooth. 20190216_162735 (768x1024).jpg:thumbsup:

Your RSV sure looks nekkid in that picture. Mine looked just like it about 2 months ago when I removed my forks to add spacers to the damper tubes to lower the front 1".

What weight oil did you use? I found 10wt performs best for me.

I think it's a conspiracy with the fork oil quantity. It comes in 16oz bottles but you need 18oz in each fork. So you have to buy 3 bottles. What the heck are we suppose to do with the leftover 12oz? I used mine up using it a bar oil for my chainsaw. Better than leaving it on a shelf collecting dust.

I stuck with the stock bars and used the 1 1/2" risers. I find it very comfortable and I'm only 5', 8". The spacers along with the Flanders Bars would have brought the controls too far back for me. You must have really short arms.:D I assume you are going to have to use longer cables with this mod. My stock cables only worked after re-routing them.

Glad to hear everything went well. Now your almost ready for riding season.:happy65:

Edited by grubsie

yep running 10wt. I only had to buy 1 qt as have rebuild two other sets of forks recently. Had 1.5 spacer when I bought the bike need to come back a little more. As can only ride around 300 mile then have to stop for a few days.. Shoulder is limiting me. I have a hell of a time shifting even a car couple shifts and done with that. Hoping will be able to get full swing with flanders. While keeping arm against body. If this don't work may have to just throw in the towel. The pain is winning at everything. Its looking like gut is going to get in way. Its real iffy on the throttle and hyd hoses. So have to put it together and see if I can swing the bars. If not will put the stock ones back on. I think its kind of big for a town bike. So may have to just part with it.:95:

• 1 month later...

well I finely got to ride it. The heavy springs worked out great. The flander bars and risers worked out perfect. My upper arm is at my side. That's is what I needed. Took a little getting used to new riding position. I like the ride I have now nice and firm. Think when the spring settles in will be perfect. Some how I got the brake and throttle cables intertwined but that is a easy fix. Don't have to worry about slouching any more as sit against back rest now. I only put on around 25 miles as that wind was strong and cold. Don't know what the wind speed was but it was pushing me around some. So if I don't tear up anything else next winter will repaint the patched areas. And maybe a v-max differential...…...

:fingers-crossed-emo

I have the sonic springs in my bike also. The improved handling was instantly noticed, I no longer feel like the bike is fading to the outside on long sweeping corners taken at a fast pace. I then went dark side and again another improvement in handling and braking. 1 year Before the above changes I switched to a 130 front tire that made a big difference with low speed handling with no noticeable difference in highway handling.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk