IGNORED

Tank Bib

I've been working with Nanci at https://www.acehighleathers.com on a tank bib/chap combination for the Star Venture. Nanci has done great work for a lot of our members here and I'm always amazed at the quality of her products.

This particular bib is made from cowhide with a strip of stingray down the middle. I love the way it turned out. The pictures do not do it justice because it is just too cold in my garage and I'm not going to install it properly until it warms up outside. Probably in the spring. I don't want to pull the backing off the velcro strips that adhere under the tank and can't pull it all tight until then. Also, the leather is very cold and stiff right now. I could heat everything up with a hair dryer I suppose but I'll just wait until the weather is better.

At any rate, I just wanted you to get an idea. All her work is custom so she can do pretty much whatever you want. This is the first one she has done for the new Star Venture and it fits really good considering the not so great measurements that I sent her. I actually think it's going to be about perfect once things warm up and I get get it installed correctly.

I usually get a pocket on my bibs but with the storage availability on this bike, I decided that I really didn't need one. The main reason for adding it was that I think they look great and the "whale tail" protects the side of the tank where your knees rub it.

IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1325.jpg

I've been working with Nanci at https://www.acehighleathers.com on a tank bib/chap combination for the Star Venture. Nanci has done great work for a lot of our members here and I'm always amazed at the quality of her products.

This particular bib is made from cowhide with a strip of stingray down the middle. I love the way it turned out. The pictures do not do it justice because it is just too cold in my garage and I'm not going to install it properly until it warms up outside. Probably in the spring. I don't want to pull the backing off the velcro strips that adhere under the tank and can't pull it all tight until then. Also, the leather is very cold and stiff right now. I could heat everything up with a hair dryer I suppose but I'll just wait until the weather is better.

At any rate, I just wanted you to get an idea. All her work is custom so she can do pretty much whatever you want. This is the first one she has done for the new Star Venture and it fits really good considering the not so great measurements that I sent her. I actually think it's going to be about perfect once things warm up and I get get it installed correctly.

I usually get a pocket on my bibs but with the storage availability on this bike, I decided that I really didn't need one. The main reason for adding it was that I think they look great and the "whale tail" protects the side of the tank where your knees rub it.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115302 https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115303

Very nice Don. Looks well with your bike and definitely looks like a quality job. You never mentioned $$ ?

There are a lot of variables that go into the pricing. What kind of leather, custom tooling, pocket or no pocket, many other things. I don't even know if she has come up with a price on this exact one yet. Here is the basic information from her site though.

• Tank bibs start at $120 plus shipping.
  • “Whales Tail” bibs start at $250 and up plus shipping. These bibs are a one piece bib that, at the bottom, wrap around the tank to protect it from your jeans.

--

I would be afraid that sand and dirt will get in the pocket area on the back where the sides curve down and forward again. I have had that problem with bras and unless you removed them every day to clean underneath, you had paint scratches and rust. That said, I do have tank bras on two bikes, but they are only in the center area and don't collect sand underneath. They protect from belt buckle, but there is some clear bra on the sides.

For my Eluder gas tank, I had a shop put on a clear plastic bra, sort of like contact paper, but permanent, totally transparent, and protects against my jeans. I also have the clear bra on the top, front and sides of my side bags and front of my fender and fairing. I have some of that stuff on my car and pickup that was put on twenty years ago and still looks invisible.

--

--

I would be afraid that sand and dirt will get in the pocket area on the back where the sides curve down and forward again. I have had that problem with bras and unless you removed them every day to clean underneath, you had paint scratches and rust. That said, I do have tank bras on two bikes, but they are only in the center area and don't collect sand underneath.

--

That’s my concern too. Rubbing and scratching the paint. But I guess as long as it’s on, who’s gonna know?

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit slow out of the starting gate and was told about this post today. First off thank you Freebird! On the flip side, no matter what style of tank accessory a person chooses to install on the bike, it is important that you pay attention to the amount of grit that is accumulating under the accessory as "yes" it will act like sand paper or even start rust. Great feedback on this post. Stay warm, ride safe!