IGNORED

Front wheel seals

Well, that's the way I found the old ones, I suppose I could have looked at the other 3 Ventures in my shop but #1 .) The seals can't be seen from the outside; you have to remove the wheels to see the seals; #TWO .) The shop is a bloody mess, and THREE) I couldn't remember how I did it the last time 3 years ago! Besides I was done for the day! Now I get to remove the rear wheel, I will disassemble the wheel and inspect it for condition and if all is found to be serviceable l will change the bearings and lube the dickens out of everything that requires it!

Thanks Kevin, You're the BEST! (As are all of my friends here on the forum!)

Doug

Now that's news to me, didn't know there were two seals.

I bet that's because you REALLY don't need them if you have SEALED bearings.....buuuut I like the extra protection and helps keep water out of the hub yes? I bet you must have found sealed bearings in the bikes you worked on....

I looked at my parts bikes and found the right/hand, right side seal is NOT flush with the hub, it goes in a bit more than an 1/8" (0.125) and the beveled washer is installed so the smaller diameter side of the beveled washer goes toward the bearing, I compared how the speedo drive's "sat" in the installed position with the beveled washer installed both ways and with the smaller Diameter side of the beveled washer the speedo drive fit like the ones on my parts bike.

The pics I took for the process don't show what I hoped they would show. Next time I have this apart I will do a better job and record what each pic shows. I installed the front wheel so that job is complete, now on to the rear wheel

Thanks to all who helped, esp. Kevin, it was nice talking to you Sunday!

IMG_20180903_150820202.jpg

Edited by dna9656