IGNORED

Reserve kicks in at 4.5 gallons

Guest DREBBIN

Most of us use a punch or a sharp nail. Its been a while and I think I remember using a sharpened nail and a hammer. Just go slow.

Oh yea. A nearly full tank would be better. An empty tank and spark tend to explode. A nearly full tank and all you have to do is put the cap back on to snuff the flames

I'll just add my 2 cents. Have been living with the filler neck the way it was for the last 2 years cause I hate making holes in my stuff..... but I bit the bullet and put 4 holes in the neck as in the pictures supplied by Goose. Wish I had done it a long time ago. Filling is so much easier and I'm getting more gas in now in much less time.

I used my punch and a hammer and just took it easy. I'm well aware that fumes are much more dangerous than liquid gas but I think you'd have to really make some major sparks to cause a fire/explosion and doing it with a punch just isn't going to cause a problem when held steady.

Hi, I would like to bring to your attention that in Canada the gas is sold by the liter and the RSV takes 22 liters.To give an example I took a ride with a full tank of gas, and when we pulled in for gas I had put on 284 Kilometers,the bike took 17 liters which means I had 5 liters left with no reserve light showing yet. I figure that I got 50 miles per Canadian gallon or 6 liters per 100km.To make it a bit easier I divided 284 km by 17 lts =16.70 is the km per liter.I grew up with miles but the government changed things and now we have the metric measurments.I am going to give this site to anyone who is going to travel to Canada and you will see how to convert the US gallon to the Canadian or UK " imperial gallon etc:

hhttp://www.electro-optical.com/unitconv/unitdict_cat.htm

I hope this will help my USA friends !

> mobile

ps:with the above calculaton the RSV should get at least 350km on a full tank...