IGNORED

Cruise control only works part of the time

Toeman

Much thanks to all those who have helped me with issues on my 08 RSV I purchased last week. My last issue deals with my cruise control. When I turn the unit on and hit the set button the green light will come on but when i let go of the throttle the speed will drop around 5 mph and slowly climb back to the set point. Sometimes it will continue to hold speed but many times the unit will automatically disengage by itself. If I his the resume sometimes the yellow light will flash and then the green light will come on. I would say that about 80% of the time it will fail to engage or will disengage after working for a short time.

This seems like it could be a difficult issue to track, but would greatly appreciate help.

As for the speed dropping when you set it, that is a common complaint. What most of us do is to hit the set button and then immediately hit the accel button. That seems to lock it at the speed you want.

As for it dropping out. Do you happen to have any type of fringe on the brake and clutch levers? If so, that could be the problem. Air friction can cause the fringe to put enough pressure on the levers to disengage the cruise. Also, worn bushing in either of the levers can cause the same thing to happen.

The First test would be to set the cruise and then use your fingers to put just some light outward pressure on the clutch and brake lever and see if it still disengages.

There is also a trouble shooting guide in the service manual. It also shows how to adjust the free-play on the vacuum switch which is located inside the lower left-hand cowling.

Please note also that if your speed drops a certain amount below where you have it set, it will disengage automatically so if you are running in too high a gear in te hills or bucking heavy headwinds and it causes your speed to drop too far below the set speed, it will disengage.

As for the speed dropping when you set it, that is a common complaint. What most of us do is to hit the set button and then immediately hit the accel button. That seems to lock it at the speed you want.

As for it dropping out. Do you happen to have any type of fringe on the brake and clutch levers? If so, that could be the problem. Air friction can cause the fringe to put enough pressure on the levers to disengage the cruise. Also, worn bushing in either of the levers can cause the same thing to happen.

The First test would be to set the cruise and then use your fingers to put just some light outward pressure on the clutch and brake lever and see if it still disengages.

There is also a trouble shooting guide in the service manual. It also shows how to adjust the free-play on the vacuum switch which is located inside the lower left-hand cowling.

Please note also that if your speed drops a certain amount below where you have it set, it will disengage automatically so if you are running in too high a gear in te hills or bucking heavy headwinds and it causes your speed to drop too far below the set speed, it will disengage.

Thanks so much, that helps a lot!

Much thanks to all those who have helped me with issues on my 08 RSV I purchased last week.

Be sure to set the free play on the throttle cable at the diaphragm. Excessive free play increases set time and recovery time. Be sure to lubricate the cables. Be sure to check for vacuum leaks between vac motor and diaphragm.

freeplay.jpg

I suspect that the cruise control issue might be related to the issue I have with the bike bogging in 5th gear. Even above 60 mph in 5th the bike just doesnt want to smoothly accelerate. It will do so but not very easily. I put a whold can of sea foam in yesterday and ran it 50 miles. The bike performs better but still is far from normal. I have had some in the forum suggest pulling the carbs and doing a thorough cleaning. Perhaps if i give the seafoam more time it will eventually resolve itself.

Thank you for all your help.

Bruce

So a related issue that others have posted and also one that I had on my gen 1.5.

If you are not powering on all 4, 5th is a miserable gear. Now to be clear here today's explanation of bogging is different then your other post on bogging and, is why it was suggested that you check the air box! Feedback is important!

Not powering on all 4 does not mean you have a miss; it means that the combustion cycle is weak on 1 or more cylinders!

This can be compression related or improper carb rebuilds. I think you mentioned that you are the 4th owner? Perhaps there is an issue that simply needs discovery!

Think about it, if your are in 5th and set cruise, then begin to bleed speed as mentioned there must be a reason.

I would start with a compression test it's easy and there's very little cost involved if you have some tools.

Patch

Don't forget the feedback

I'll mention one other thing. You say that it doesn't accelerate very well at 60 MPH in 5th gear. Without riding it, I can't say but I can tell you that 5th is a true overdrive. If I needed to really accelerate in 5th gear, I would likely downshift to 4th. Years ago, not long after purchasing my first RSV in April of 1999, I actually did a little experiment. I ran it to top speed in 4th gear. I shifted to 5th and couldn't maintain the speed attained in 4th. You also can't hit the rev limiter in 4th gear. 4th gear on the RSV is very close to 5th gear on the first gen Venture. On my previous RSV, I swapped to a VMax rear end. That actually put my gearing close to a first gen. Of course I was then hitting the rev limiter too easily so ended up installing a Dyna ignition where I could raise the rev limiter. That was really the best setup. I've already got the Dyna ignition on my current RSV and will likely swap to the VMax rear at some point. It is especially useful if you pull a trailer.

Edited by Freebird

Exactly my point frebird, but I know first hand that we can accelerate in 5th providing the output is there. No way can I rap my head around Yamaha producing a bike that can't accelerate in 5th or maintain speed. Rev limits aside she has to pull some in 5th.

Oh....I'm not saying that it won't accelerate at all. But it is certainly not brisk. I can tell you for a fact that I have topped the RSV completely out in 5th gear and then downshifted to 4th and picked up more speed. I can also tell you that on a trip to Colorado Springs for a VentureRider tally a few years ago, I was pulling a fairly heavily loaded Bushtec trailer and bucking some heavy headwinds and absolutely had to run in 4th to maintain 70 MPH or so on the freeway until that headwind subsided.

Oh....I'm not saying that it won't accelerate at all. But it is certainly not brisk. I can tell you for a fact that I have topped the RSV completely out in 5th gear and then downshifted to 4th and picked up more speed.

Which is normal!

Freebird there is a lot to the mods you mentioned which you plan on to improve! I am certainly going to see this differently because of my addiction to combustion. I'd like to take that input and post a new thread around your mods, if you are OK with that?

I'll mention one other thing. You say that it doesn't accelerate very well at 60 MPH in 5th gear. Without riding it, I can't say but I can tell you that 5th is a true overdrive. If I needed to really accelerate in 5th gear, I would likely downshift to 4th. Years ago, not long after purchasing my first RSV in April of 1999, I actually did a little experiment. I ran it to top speed in 4th gear. I shifted to 5th and couldn't maintain the speed attained in 4th. You also can't hit the rev limiter in 4th gear. 4th gear on the RSV is very close to 5th gear on the first gen Venture. On my previous RSV, I swapped to a VMax rear end. That actually put my gearing close to a first gen. Of course I was then hitting the rev limiter too easily so ended up installing a Dyna ignition where I could raise the rev limiter. That was really the best setup. I've already got the Dyna ignition on my current RSV and will likely swap to the VMax rear at some point. It is especially useful if you pull a trailer.

Thanks, all great info.

Don, I looked over the Dyna site and found that the RSV would use a Dyna 3000 module. At least it looks that way as they don't list any of the newer RSV's. But under their heading about buying, there are quite a few choices? Do you remember which unit your purchased for your RSV?

Also, it looks like advance curve #2 would be perfect as well as setting limiter to 7250rpm.

Agree?

TIA

Yes, that is the correct one. I honestly don't remember which curve I used but I think I left it at the stock curve. Years ago, I experimented with it a little but don't remember it making a huge difference except going with a higher number one time and seeing my gas mileage take a hit. Curve 1 is about the save as stock. I MAY have it set on #2 , just don't remember now.

I have the rev limiter set at 7500. Not that important with the stock rear end but with the VMax rear, I think it is almost a necessity if you do anything near aggressive riding. As I've gotten older, I would be hard pressed to hit the rev limiter anyway.

If I still rode the way that I once did and had the VMax rear installed, I would install heavy duty valve springs and bump it up a bit more. The Dyna manual says to not exceed 7500 without installing heavier valve springs.

Yes, that is the correct one. I honestly don't remember which curve I used but I think I left it at the stock curve. Years ago, I experimented with it a little but don't remember it making a huge difference except going with a higher number one time and seeing my gas mileage take a hit. Curve 1 is about the save as stock. I MAY have it set on #2 , just don't remember now.

I have the rev limiter set at 7500. Not that important with the stock rear end but with the VMax rear, I think it is almost a necessity if you do anything near aggressive riding. As I've gotten older, I would be hard pressed to hit the rev limiter anyway.

If I still rode the way that I once did and had the VMax rear installed, I would install heavy duty valve springs and bump it up a bit more. The Dyna manual says to not exceed 7500 without installing heavier valve springs.

I don't drive aggressively much anymore either. After the cross country trip, I realized I do need the VMax rear end and would like to be able to extend the rev limit a touch so I can cruise easier in 4th and 5th. Especially in heavy wind situations. In retrospect, I could/should have done about half my trip last month in 4th gear all day.

And yes, Curve #1 is stock. Curve #2 simply extends the advance curve out to the redline. IE, if I understand correctly...it's nothing more than an extension of curve#1 . Don't know why that would cause an MPG hit...but I'm not a racing mechanic....that stuff is beyond me nowadays.

Thank you!